Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Opinion: College is still a good time to apply for scholarships

Scholarships make it possible for many students to afford attending this university. As tuition costs increase nationally and at UNC, the need for scholarships is reaching unprecedented levels compared to just a few decades ago.

It is a popular misconception that high school is the only time to apply for extra money to help with tuition or even day-to-day expenses while at college. Many resources, from individual departments to academic advisors, are at UNC students’ disposal as they continue to seek scholarships.

The Office of Distinguished Scholarships is one such resource. While it can easily be mistaken as a service intended only for honors students, the office is trying to reach out to more students. A name change might be in order, but this is a good place for students to start.

While scholarships are important for students while they study in Chapel Hill, many students find a greater need for scholarships if they wish to study abroad. On the UNC Study Abroad website, there is ample material detailing which scholarships are offered and how to find additional information.

Loans can be a burden and leave students in a bad place upon leaving college. Scholarships, on the other hand, usually do not need to be repaid, so they are essentially free money.

There is no guarantee you will receive every scholarship you apply for, especially when you are aiming for more prestigious ones.

This fear of denial can be a huge barrier to entry for many students. But remember, scholarship applications do not represent your worth as a student, and not trying solves nothing.

Chances are if you work hard enough, you can find some sort of funding.