Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Have we gathered in the streets for Ferguson Laurent?

Have we mourned, or even acknowledged, his passing in the midst of local and national upheaval?

On the morning of Nov. 3 in Salisbury, Ferguson Laurent Jr., a 23-year-old Black man, was shot and killed by police after a Special Response Team attempted to serve a “no-knock” warrant to a home.

Police were searching for narcotics, weapons and stolen property, so they sent a unit specially trained in making entry into a home with people who are armed. This was the first time a no-knock search warrant, which authorizes officers to go into a home unannounced, was used in Salisbury this year.

The officer who shot Laurent, after police said someone fired at least one shot from inside the house, was identified as K. Boehm — an officer who has been with the department since 2008 and was involved in another fatal shooting in 2010.

A few area pastors and community members formed a tight circle outside the home, holding hands while praying for Laurent’s family, police and the community. Salisbury police Chief Jerry Stokes acknowledged that citizens could exercise their First Amendment right to protest, but that violence and property damage would be a problem if they occurred.

The shooting came on the heels of the deaths of Keith Scott, Jonathan Ferrell, Korryn Gaines, Terence Crutcher, Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin and so many more. 

Following the police shooting of Keith Scott in Charlotte, multiple universities in North Carolina staged peaceful “die-ins” to display solidarity with front-lines protesters and Charlotte Uprising.

Charlotte Uprising is a coalition of volunteers, activists and local and state organizers committed to advocating for “police accountability, transparency and social and economic equity.” The movement began as a direct response to sustained police violence against Black people in Charlotte and across the nation.

Immediately after The Salisbury Post reported that an officer had entered a home unannounced and shot a Black man, Charlotte Uprising was quick to alert all its followers to attend a vigil for Laurent that night. The end of the alert read: “No more black deaths at the hands of murderous police." 

Two weeks ago, protests in Charlotte had subsided. Activists were not in the streets chanting for justice or blocking traffic. Charlotte Uprising was holding increasingly frequent vigils, packing courtrooms with supporters of previously arrested protesters, publicizing any press conferences held by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg police and hosting workshops to build their movement and a dialogue to discuss the current state of matters.

In the wake of the presidential election, thousands of Americans have amassed in the streets to protest Donald Trump’s victory.

While hundreds of our classmates, colleagues and neighbors gather to protest in the #NotMyPresident movement, let the momentum from previous calls for justice from the likes of Charlotte Uprising and Black Lives Matter carry their message more clearly and more inclusively.

Charlotte Uprising’s mission states their purpose clearly:

“We demand that our state and local government officials take action to preserve Black lives and support us in realizing a future where Black people in this city and the state of North Carolina receive equal treatment under the law.”

In 2016, countless protests gained traction, attracted media attention and impacted policy. Ferguson Laurent was the latest in a long list of tragedies, but Black lives are not expendable. Hopefully, we will enter next year with purpose and remembrance in seeking peace.

Text CHARLIT to 919-90 to receive updates from Charlotte Uprising.