Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Politics is a commonly discussed topic in many households. Across the nation, parents, friends or other family members talked about the newest developments and happenings across the globe. Even more, many people expect kids and teenagers to be aware of current events and have opinions and input on them regardless of if they can vote.

In this ideal home, apathy isn’t a choice. Indifference isn’t a choice. Not everyone is afforded the privilege of being raised in an environment like this.

Some “don’t want to get political” or engage in civil discussions about domestic or international issues. They don’t keep up with the news or even take the time to know the details of a major story. This is not only troubling, but harmful to the country. This apathy hasn’t just kept many uninformed, but has made us simply unaware of the problems happening.

Little to no accountability of politicians and overall lack of knowledge about the functions of the world have led to an election of unfavorable candidates.

While it is impossible to be aware of and hold politicians accountable for everything, it isn’t impossible to be informed about issues that matter most to you as a voter and to make sure the information is accurate and credible.

In the upcoming days, weeks, months and years after the election, start caring more. Start to watch, listen and read independent media so you can get unbiased media.

If you hate how things are now, staying apathetic and uninvolved will only make it worse.

Be informed, go vote.