Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

At the time of publication, the election was still contested. We imagine as you read this now, a new leader of the United States may have been picked.

Given that we cannot write specifically about the winner, we are going to write instead about the election itself.

This country cannot long endure the levels of division and bile that were spewed almost daily from the political campaigns. Unfortunately, we have all seen how this played out. It made all of us feel worse. Before looking for the speck in the eyes of others, it may serve us well to dislodge the logs in our own.

We all should do some soul-searching in this time — including us at The Daily Tar Heel. We can only speak for the opinion page, but this is our self-critique. This board finds shame in the media’s conduct. Competition for eyes and ears often drives media to produce content that appeals to the basest instincts we possess.

This election, and the media’s framing of it, eschewed issues and even ideology for spectacle, fear and the rawest tribalism. Journalists, including us, can learn much from these mistakes.

As a society, we need to remember what civil discourse looks like and that starts with beginning to find respect for all people.

How do we begin to heal after all the anger, hatred and division the American people have faced? Let’s remember that we are all Americans.

And by “we all are Americans,” we don’t mean the conservative slogan.

All this means is that every person who is working to better this country — regardless of religion, ethnicity, gender identification or national origin — belongs here.

Inclusion makes us stronger, and this is not just a liberal catchphrase. History shows that bringing people together creates more stable coalitions.

Much of the anger from this election stems from people who felt left out by trade, globalization and real or imagined foreign violent threats. Moving forward, Democrats and liberals need to take these concerns seriously. Even on election night, Democrats were simply writing Trump supporters off as idiots. Writing off American’s concerns so easily is what led to Trump’s early support with forgotten, often rural people. If we are Americans first, we need to hear and answer the hurt of all Americans.

Tyranny has ruled in this country before. It was not tolerated then, and the only way it will be tolerated now is if we allow it to be.

No one person, nor one political party, can divide a country like what we have seen in the United States. This situation is on all of us, which is horrifying but can provide some hope moving forward.

The next four years will not be easy, and a lot of us are going to face increased targeting and less visibility in the government. Regardless of who wins, people are going to be left out.

A defeated mentality does nothing. It is a convenient way to abdicate responsibility and to distance oneself from the national discourse.

The day after Election Day is not the time to remain silent for either party. To draw from Edward Murrow, Americans should not be fearful, even if we face oppression in our own nation.

What we need to do now is to read, to associate and to be heard.

To those who are feeling that their very identity is being threatened by the words now commanding American political spheres, remember we are never alone in this.

We have friends, we have family, we have each other. Conversations lead to understanding, so be vocal about how you feel. People say voting is how we are heard, but talking carries an often underappreciated value.

President Obama said in a speech on Election Day that no matter what, “The sun will rise in the morning.” He is right. We choose what we do in the years to come. No politician in Washington can control your conscience or your desires.

Do you really think President Obama is just going to go quietly into the night? Allowing all he worked for to be turned over by the next candidate? That seems unlikely.

Finally, breathe and keep hope. Let’s not forget that in the coming days.