Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

A role in the federal government is the dream of many students. Whether it be through an internship or full-time employment, the chance to help shape this nation can be a platform to improve the lives of millions.

This kind of positive change may seem like a fabled dream to some students preparing to graduate. The government's bureaucracy is one of the few positions where your boss changes every four to eight years as power is transferred.

Typically this is not an issue, as most people elected to the office of president are considered to be good, sane individuals. However, many people do not think so highly of the current President-elect Donald J. Trump.

This editorial is not going to argue Trump's character. There are no shortages of articles and opinions for reference if needed. This premise is built off of the notion that many students are questioning if they can ethically seek meaningful government employment in Trump's America.

These concerns are legitimate views people hold and cannot be ignored. How would you feel if your boss talked about you or your coworkers the way Trump has?

Odds are you work with a woman or a Muslim person or an immigrant. Think about what he has said, and ask yourself, would I want to call this person my boss?

If you think this would be acceptable, then this editorial probably doesn't have much worth for you. However, if you are a person who wants to work in the government and finds an issue with working in this administration, this is not easy.

If his promises are taken at face value, it seems that the options of government positions well be greatly reduced. In the great "drain the swamp" movement, it seems government agencies, like the Department of Education, may be in trouble. 

Wide-scale cuts of government programs like that seems unlikely, and if it does happen, to some degree it quickly solves the moral dilemma as there will be no new job openings. 

Please consult your own conscience before taking any of our advice. You know your values and what you are willing to take.

Ultimately, you can still do a fair amount of good for people regardless of the president. If you have faith in the Republic as a government of the people, then you should consider the public your boss, not Donald Trump.

We have no idea what the federal government will look like in January, but if caring people leave their posts, that only makes many of Trump's goals easier.

That said, do not feel like the government is the only avenue you have for creating effective change. In today's world, there is no shortage of advocacy groups and nonprofits looking to better people's lives outside of the public sphere.

The federal government may be opposed to the progress you hoped to achieve post-graduation, but that does not mean progress has to stop for four years.