Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Quick hits for Nov. 17, 2016

Easy as ABC

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

ABC 11 reported that we blurred the line between free speech and respect for the democratic process. How so, ABC? Did we call for a riot? Did we say the election results were illegitimate? No to both. We make mistakes in our reporting from time to time, but you’re supposed to be professionals. Do better.

Take the street

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Thank you to all those protesting the hate crimes and general awfulness that have erupted since last week’s election. We know you are taking a lot of heat for being active, but please know that we greatly appreciate you! Thanks for being a vital part of our democracy and of the civil discourse.

Ice, no coffee

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

It was cold this week, which makes it harder to stay motivated to go to class. In the past, we would have stopped at The Daily Grind, drank some coffee and then gone on our merry way to class. That experience is dead. DEAD. And yes UNC, we are still upset about it. We will never stop being upset about it.

Oh deer

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

A deer broke into the Bowman Gray Memorial Pool on Sunday, and it was nice to see people share a DTH article in good humor for once. The doe was sedated and released, but her legacy on this campus will always be remembered. To the first-years who got to skip swimming in LFIT, cheers to the deer!

Lies, all lies

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

Who would have thought that spreading fake news stories would be a bad thing. Sure, when Fox News cited the Onion in 2010 it was funny, but now that it has empowered thousands with false information, 4Chan-ers may the only people still laughing. Please, dear reader, verify a story before you share it.

Be thankful

It is almost Thanksgiving break, which means we don’t have to go to class. But it also means we have to go home and debate the election. And that all those “end of the year” assignments you keep putting off are almost due. While that sucks, it is almost Christmas. Keep up spirits, Tar Heels. We are almost done.