Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Quick hits for Nov. 3, 2016

Mr. and Miss Binary

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

It’s 2016, UNC. There are more than two genders, there are people who don’t have genders and there are people who are fluid with their gender identity. All of that is OK! What isn’t OK is that the popularity contest of Mr. and Miss UNC relies on the binary of man and woman to determine who our school loves most. 

Keeping it clean

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

To all the groundskeepers and workers who cleaned up after Obama’s visit: Thank you. The amount of detritus, plastic cups and garbage that littered the field once our president left and the crowds dispersed was not pretty in the slightest. It’s thanks to your hard work that our campus is the beautiful place that it is.

Construction traffic

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

One of our editors was late to a meeting because she got re-routed three times through Rosemary Street traffic and got lost. It was mostly her own fault, but the ongoing construction by our office has been more than a little inconvenient. We know it’s their job to finish construction, but it’s our job to complain.

Let's all go back

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

WXYC’s upcoming 2000s dance has the whole opinion desk excited to dance our inhibitions away to the sweet, sweet tunes of Britney Spears, Green Day, Fall Out Boy and good ol’ Akon. While our tastes in music vary across the board, the one thing all of us wholeheartedly enjoy is 2000s-era bouncy beats.

Obstructing views

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

We get that it’s not your fault you’re 6-feet-5-inches tall. Maybe you didn’t hear when we politely asked you to lower your phone so that we might see the president, too. We get it, it’s a once in a lifetime moment and you want it forever. Just know that our resentment for you will last just as long.

Done with Dunham

Lena Dunham stopped by UNC to campaign for Clinton. While her visit was widely advertised, nobody told us that Constance Wu and Janet Mock would be with her! A woman criticized for the lack of black characters on her TV show should’ve spotlighted influential female voices of color in such a pivotal election.