Monday, Oct. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Quick Hits for Jan. 19, 2017

Trumpet calls

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

This is the last Quick Hits section written during the Barack Obama presidency. From now on, Quick Hits will be written under the “leadership” of a sensitive orange person. We doubt he will ever see these, but we hope the coming Quick Hits somehow, some way manage to bother him.

Free at last

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

President Barack Obama gave us a glimmer of good news in the already dark 2017 — he commuted Chelsea Manning’s sentence. She pointed out failures of our nation’s military, something we need more of. If we want to advance as a society, we have to be willing to accept our faults, not shroud them from view.

Astrological apology

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

We here at Quick Hits are sincerely sorry for asserting last week that the Capricorn mermaid goat most resembled our beloved mascot, Rameses. The zodiac’s resident ram is the Aries sign. In keeping the cosmos in balance, if you’re an Aries you’ll have splendid fortune this week while Capricorns figure themselves out.

Bee 3-D

4722_thumbsupo.jpg

Did you all know that any UNC student can make 3-D prints from an actual 3-D printer? Want to print friendship charms? You can! Want to print a life size model of Jerry Seinfeld in a bee costume? Maybe you cannot do that, but you can print the exact same thing in bee size! The possibilities are endless.

Love me, I'm liberal

4719_thumbsdowno.jpg

This down thumb goes to a group of people we often do not criticize: the Liberal. Not all Liberals, just the kind that use the label but seemingly have no real link to the ideology. If your politics change if the policies do not benefit you, like being economically conservative, then you are not a true Liberal.

We tried

Maybe the death of American society isn’t a bad thing … Actually, we thought about seeing an ironic positive in Trump’s presidency, but there aren’t really any of worth. Just consider this a down thumb to Trump, or an up thumb to Joe Biden. We have nothing to make the inauguration seem OK.