Sunday, Oct. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Letter: ​Our election system needs an overhaul

You know why this SBP election is “embarrassing”?

Because people can’t follow the rules. Candidates, campaign teams, even the Board of Elections itself are either oblivious to the Student Code or have chosen to disregard it. If this election has accomplished anything, it has at least shown us that it’s high time for some accountability.

Our election system desperately needs an overhaul. But what’s the point of laws if their application (or lack thereof) relies on the whims of those in power?

No one is above the law, nor does anyone have the right to make up the rules as they go along (I’m largely talking about you, Board of Elections). If you don’t like the system, change it — the right way. It’s not hard to pass a bill through Student Congress, especially one fixing a system that everyone agrees is broken. But until that happens, we are bound by the laws currently on the books.

Finally, just for clarification’s sake, the letter entitled “SBP election is embarrassing” grossly misrepresents the complaint pending in the Student Supreme Court. That complaint is not against a specific candidate — it is against the Board of Elections for failing to properly apply the Student Code.

Let’s have this election in a manner consistent with the Student Code, and then let’s fix the Student Code.

In the meantime, please don’t sit on the sidelines and complain that the laws are actually being enforced.

Colin Russell

District 7 Representative, Student Congress