Sunday, Oct. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Letter: ​The U.S. should not be anti-immigrant

I express my support and views in response to the Feb. 3 column, “President Trump’s Muslim ban threatens our identity.”

I find it appalling to live in a country that dismisses an entire minority based on origin and religion. Trump has not fooled anyone: to say that this ban is for the safety of our people, rather than a result of prejudice and discrimination, is ignorant. Trump continues to take advantage of fear to promote his agenda.

His claim of a safer U.S. through this ban is unfounded and the prejudice proffered by the ban will cause mistrust in Muslims and all immigrants in general; when a president can act upon his own prejudice, there is no deterrent for other citizens to do so, as well.

I can’t help but think, “What if instead of Muslims being targeted, former-communist countries were?” I am the daughter of two Romanian immigrants and know the struggles they faced under the communist regime of Ceausescu. If they had faced a similar ban, I would never have been born here. To deem them as unworthy of being Americans because of where they were born is insulting and demeaning, especially considering the contribution they bring to this society.

Throughout history, immigrants have built the U.S. and are a part of its identity. To paraphrase Thomas Paine, I am a Romanian-American and a citizen of the world and my Religion is to do good.

Alexandra Proca

First-year

Computer Science and Psychology