Sunday, Oct. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC women's tennis sweeps N.C. State 7-0

The No. 3 North Carolina women’s tennis team defeated rival No. 16 N.C. State 7-0 Tuesday afternoon to capture its first ACC win of the season.

The Tar Heels (12-1, 1-0 ACC) won the doubles point against the Wolf Pack (8-4, 0-1 ACC) without much resistance. Court one pitted the No. 3 Tar Heel doubles tandem of senior Hayley Carter and sophomore Jessie Aney against the No. 22 N.C. State doubles team in Martina Frantova and Anna Rogers. Carter and Aney captured the 6-1 win, handing Frantova and Rogers their first doubles loss of the season. The Tar Heels took Court three as well, as Sara Daavettila and Rachel James-Baker also won 6-1.

After the doubles point, North Carolina pumped the gas pedal. The team won five of its six first sets in singles.

Aney, who played on Court 3, defeated her opponent first, winning 6-2, 6-2. Daavettila finished right after Aney, notching a 6-1, 6-3 win. And Carter sped past her opponent 7-5, 6-2.

North Carolina held the final advantage after Carter’s singles match. The team finished off the rest of the matches without a hiccup.

Sara Daavettila, a North Carolina first-year from Williamston, Michigan, has stood out all year for the Tar Heels, and she took care of business again today.

In singles, the mature, level-headed stud has only lost three matches on the year — remaining undefeated during dual season thus far. She’s ranked fourth in the nation individually, just behind No. 3 senior captain Carter.

The match was decided when Hayley Carter took the fourth, clinching point for the Tar Heels. Despite a close first set where Carter found herself playing defensively, she was able to turn her opponent’s low, flat shots into power of her own in the second, where she ran away with the match for her 150th career singles win.

As the first game of the ACC regular season for the Tar Heels, this match was a tone-setter.

N.C. State boasts a talented team, but they were still not prepared to compete with this focused Tar Heel squad, who escaped a tightly-contested match against South Carolina Saturday.

The Tar Heels play their conference home-opener against Clemson on Friday at 3 p.m.

@alexzietlow05