Saturday, Oct. 12, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC softball beats Longwood with walk-off home run from Kendra Lynch

The North Carolina softball won in dramatic fashion on Tuesday afternoon, walking off on Longwood with a three-run home run from Kendra Lynch to win 5-3.

UNC (30-9, 9-3 ACC) struck first in the bottom of the third, when junior Taylor Wike singled with two outs, making way for sophomore Berlynne Delamora to score her from first on a double for the game’s first run, as the Tar Heels took a 1-0 lead.

Longwood (12-20, 1-4 Big South) struck back in the very next frame, turning a leadoff walk into two runs when sophomore Jordan Clark took UNC pitcher Hannah Nommensen deep to centerfield.

The Lancers kept UNC’s offense in check throughout the game, putting up two scoreless frames before tacking on an insurance run in the top of the sixth with a lead off double that kissed the line down left field, followed by an RBI-single to score the runner and take a 3-1 lead.

Sophomore Destiny DeBerry slapped a hit over the second baseman’s head with two out in the bottom of the sixth. Junior Katelyn Shifflett followed with a deep drive to straight-away center, but a Lancer outfielder jumped up to snag the flyball before it hit the wall ending the threat.

UNC rallied in the seventh inning, scratching a run across with two outs to make it 3-2, when Kendra Lynch came up to the plate with two on. Down to her final two strikes, Lynch grooved a pitch over the wall in right-center field for a home run to make the final score 5-3.

Lynch only went 1-for-4 in the game, but made her hit count, coming up in the clutch to steal a win in a game where UNC struggled to generate runs consistently.

Pickett was dynamite in the circle, holding the Lancers to one hit and striking out six across her four innings that were split across the game. Her leadoff walk in the seventh inning also set the stage for the comeback.

Wike was the Tar Heels’ most consistent hitter down the stretch, going 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs. Her two-out RBI single kept the UNC rally going in the seventh inning and set up Lynch’s walk-off home run.

Brittany Pickett drew a walk out of the eight-hole in the lineup in the bottom of the seventh and was replaced with Brittany West, who stole second on a delayed steal. Micaela Abbatine came in to pinch hit, but struck out, and Leah Murray popped a soft line drive to the third baseman for out number two.

Wike drove in West with a single up the middle, making way for Delamora, who walked on five pitches.

That left it up to Lynch, who took a 1-1 pitch straight into the trees of right-center field to walk-off.

What separates good teams from great teams is that great teams have the ability to win even when things don’t go as planned or when they don’t play to the best of their ability.

UNC struggled to put up runs through the first six frames, as hitters popped out while failing to capitalize on some Longwood mistakes. That left the door open for the Lancers to take a lead into the final frame with just three runs to their name.

But, there was still time for the Tar Heels to rally, pulling off a little two-out magic to sneak win in the final inning. That mental toughness to rally when down is why this year’s team is off to one it’s best starts in school history, and will serve the team well as ACC play heats up down the stretch.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels take on the UNC-Wilmington Seahawks on Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.

@sjdoughton