Thursday, Oct. 10, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Editorial: "Time's up" here, and in Hollywood.

Last Sunday, the Golden Globes took a darker turn — literally — as Hollywood showed up to the awards ceremony donning all-black ensembles in support of an initiative called Time’s Up. Thanks to this push to combat sexual assault in Hollywood and beyond, the Time’s Up legal defense fund will offer subsidized legal support to people who experience sexual harassment in the course of the careers. Instead of shoving their manicured hands in front of the “mani cam,” celebrities on the red carpet spoke passionately about sexual harassment and women’s empowerment. 

The message behind Hollywood’s activism at the Golden Globes was more than a fashion statement. Eight actors brought women activists as their guests for the night, hosts and attendees spoke openly about issues of sexual harassment across all industries and viewers were asked to grapple with tough issues around power and gender. 

To some, the protest came up short — critics argued that wearing black dresses was not a strong enough message, that the actors were participating in name of the image not the cause and men at the event were largely silent on the issues women were shouting into the microphone. 

And to be sure, the night was riddled with its own hypocrisy — how can our society’s most powerful players, with their cushy lives and designer clothes, truly speak for the vulnerable? Men accused of sexual harassment days after the event accepted awards while wearing Time’s Up buttons. To some viewers, such acts trivialized the serious nature of the night’s theme. 

At the end of the day, Hollywood stepped up to fill a responsibility that Washington has failed to provide — a moral voice. In times when honesty and ethical principles have been thrown out the window, we look to other role models to rise to the occasion. 

This phenomenon is not unique to the stars and the Time’s Up initiative. Groups across the country and on this campus are stepping up to provide resources, generate awareness and offer services in unprecedented capacities. 

For example, the campus organization Project Dinah works to combat the obstacles faced by survivors of sexual assault and interpersonal violence. The UNC Institute of Politics aims to engage students in politics and point them toward careers in public service. The Campus Y promotes social justice both on campus and in the community. As exemplified by the enthusiastic discussions and protests on our campus, training the next generation of leaders is yet another way to show strength and solidarity in times of moral disarray. 

Before, we defaulted to Washington leadership, assuming that we could depend on the Oval Office as a beacon of good character — extenuating circumstances withheld. Before, at the very least, we could count on a rhetoric of respect for all persons and our environment. 

This is no longer the case. All of us — from Hollywood actors to Carolina students — must play an active role in defining the moral standard of our country and communities. Our default option is gone. But whether we wear black or Carolina blue, we now have an even greater opportunity to be leaders, change-makers and megaphones for vulnerable voices.