Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Here's an update on the recruiting efforts of the UNC men's basketball team for next year:

Davidson Basketball Roy Williams
Head coach Roy Williams yells at team during the first half of Saturday's game against Davidson. Davidson had the lead and UNC lead with turnovers.

The initial college basketball signing day is on April 17, just months away. The final signing date is less than a month after that on May 15. So far, two players have committed to North Carolina — five-star center Armando Bacot Jr. and three-star point guard Jeremiah Francis, who attends the same high school (Pickerington Central High School) as Sterling Manley did. 

But there’s still plenty of intrigue left as the Tar Heels, who currently own the No. 38 recruiting class in the country according to 247Sports, are in the running for a few coveted recruits. Here’s an update on the team’s recruiting efforts for the 2019-2020 season.

Cole Anthony

Anthony is without a doubt the most heralded recruit left unsigned. The No. 3 player in the country according to the 247Sports composite rankings, Anthony is the son of 11-year NBA veteran and current Turner Sports analyst Greg Anthony.

He’s also very familiar with UNC’s campus, having taken three visits between August and December. In August, he made an unofficial visit, but the real treat was making an official trip to Chapel Hill for the NBA preseason game on Sept. 28 between the Charlotte Hornets and Boston Celtics. On Dec. 5 he returned to North Carolina once again to watch the Tar Heels steamroll UNC Wilmington, 97-69.

At one time it seemed like the 6-foot-3, 184-pound combo guard who attends super school Oak Hill Academy was a lock to become a Tar Heel. In the recent weeks that perception has somewhat changed. Rivals recruiting analyst Corey Evans reported earlier this month that Oregon could be the team to beat for Anthony’s services. With Coby White entrenched at the point guard spot, perhaps Anthony could see himself earning more playing time at the West Coast University.

Matthew Hurt

Hurt is a five-star forward who has been linked to traditional blue blood programs UNC, Kansas, Duke and Kentucky. However, the Rochester, Minn. native is also considering his in-state school Minnesota. At 6-foot-9, 215 pounds, Hurt is the No. 2 power forward in the class and the No. 7 overall recruit according to 247Sports composite rankings.

As of now, the Tar Heels have a long shot at getting Hurt. Evan Daniels of 247Sports predicts there is a 75 percent chance he commits to Kansas. If UNC is able to snag Hurt, he would add to a packed frontcourt next year that includes Bacot, Manley, Garrison Brooks and Brandon Huffman. Hurt made a visit to Chapel Hill on Dec. 15, where he watched North Carolina roll by then-No. 4 Gonzaga, 103-90.

Keion Brooks

Brooks is a long, athletic wing from La Porte, Indiana, whose final schools include Kentucky, Indiana, UNC, Michigan State and UCLA. The five-star recruit is considered the No. 5 small forward in the class, according to 247Sports composite rankings.

Standing at 6-foot-7, 185 pounds, Brooks would compete for playing time right away at North Carolina, especially if first-year forward Nassir Little declares for the 2019 NBA Draft following the season’s end. Brooks visited Chapel Hill on Nov. 2 and has been recruited by assistant coach Hubert Davis, but it could be tough to lure him away from the in-state favorite. Jerry Meyer of 247Sports predicts there is a 75 percent chance Brooks attends Indiana next season, where he will undoubtedly start right away.

UNC has been linked to other five-star prospects Precious Achiuwa (No. 9 in 247Sports composite rankings) and Anthony Edwards (No. 4 in 247Sports composite rankings), but it’s unlikely either heralded player will commit to play in Chapel Hill.

Adding any of the prospects listed above would be a huge get for North Carolina, especially considering the Tar Heels will be without graduating players Kenny Williams, Luke Maye and Cameron Johnson next season.

@christrenkle2