Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Letter to editor: Carolina's housing is turning into California

Housing has a huge impact on college affordability across the nation, but particularly in cities or high-income areas. This can be seen in dramatic fashion in California, where overcrowded public universities are struggling to house all students, and students are struggling to afford housing. 

This has resulted in some students living at home and commuting, or even living out of their cars, leaving them effectively homeless. This is a major burden on these students and affects their ability to learn and succeed. In fact, colleges and universities are building more residence halls because data shows that living on campus increases graduation rates. However, many colleges cannot keep up with the surge in four-year enrollment that has occurred within the last decade. Almost 70 percent of Americans now enroll in college, but dropout rates are high and housing insecurity contributes to the high dropout rate.

As a student at UNC-Chapel Hill, housing has been more and more difficult to find, and students are forced to look earlier and earlier each year if they have the desire to move off campus. Prices are also increasing, as more luxury apartments are being built to replace more affordable apartments. Demand for on-campus housing is also increasing, as many underclassmen are not getting the roommates requested or their first-choice residence hall. The nationwide housing crisis is affecting our campus community, and adding to already high college-related expenses.

Jackson Harrison

Media and Journalism, 2019