Saturday, Oct. 5, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Beto O’Rourke is coming to UNC for a meet-and-greet on Monday

13231_0904_dnc10_stephensonf.jpg

The Democratic National Convention draws thousands of delegates, press, and citizens to Charlotte in Sept. 2012.

Democratic primary candidate Beto O'Rourke will come to UNC on Monday, UNC Young Democrats said in a tweet Thursday.

O'Rourke will hold a meet and greet in the Great Hall of the Student Union at 2:45 p.m. on Monday, according to the Beto for America campaign. 

Rourke's visit to North Carolina will include stops in Charlotte and Greensboro as well, with a meet and greet at Central Piedmont Community College and one at a pub in Greensboro. 

Since launching his bid for the presidency, O'Rourke has visited seven college campuses, including Clemson University and Iowa State University, the Beto for America campaign said. This will be his first visit to North Carolina as a presidential candidate.

O'Rourke rose to national prominence after challenging incumbent Ted Cruz for a U.S. Senate seat in Texas. O'Rourke's campaign was the closest any Democrat has come to winning a statewide office in Texas in the last decade, the Texas Tribune reported. O'Rourke came within three points of defeating Cruz.

O'Rourke is one of 18 Democratic candidates already officially running for the presidency. The former Texas congressman has centered his campaign around immigration reform and climate change action.

Former President Barack Obama visited UNC during his re-election campaign in 2012 and during presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's campaign in 2016.