Saturday, Oct. 5, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC women's tennis captures a share of ACC title with win over Georgia Tech

20190405_Women'sTennisVs.FSU_AbouSido-165.jpg
UNC women's tennis freshamn Cameron Morra returns in a doubles match alongside Sara Daavettila against Florida State University at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Friday, Apr. 5, 2019. The No. 2 UNC women's tennis team beat No. 13 FSU 4-0.

The No. 1 North Carolina women’s tennis team defeated Georgia Tech, 4-1, to clinch a share of the ACC regular season title. 

The Tar Heels got off to another strong start, earning the doubles point in a 26th straight match. Junior Makenna Jones and sophomore Alle Sanford picked up a 6-3 victory to start the day, while senior Jessie Aney and junior Alexa Graham, the No. 7 duo in the nation, followed with a 6-3 win to clinch the doubles part. 

In singles play, No.12 Sara Daavettila made quick work of her opponent — shutting her out to give the Tar Heels a 2-0 lead after a 6,0, 6-0 win. No. 5 Jones finished her match next with a win, 6-3, 6-4. 

On Court One, No. 6 Graham faced tough competition in No.14 Kenya Jones — where she eventually lost in two sets, 7-5, 6-1, to give Georgia Tech its first point of the matchup. 

However, Aney prevented the Yellow Jackets from getting any closer. She closed out the win in a hard-fought battle, 6-1, 2-6, 6-4. This gave UNC enough points to get the 4-1 overall victory. 

Daavettila had an impressive showing in singles play. She completely dominated her opponent without dropping a single set point in a fast victory.

Aney also had a great performance. She helped open the scoring in doubles play and closed it out in her singles match. While it took three sets, the senior showed determination to clinch the victory for her team. 

Aney’s victory could not have come at a better time. Georgia Tech was coming off its first match win and was looking for another to help fuel a comeback. After controlling the first set, it seemed like she was going to have an easy time. Her opponent, however, did not back down. She had a convincing win in the second set to force a decisive third set. 

Aney remained unfazed and won the match. 

The Tar Heels are finishing the regular season game on a hot-streak. With just Virginia Tech to go, they remain undefeated in conference play and have already clinched at least a share of the ACC regular season title. This win also makes it 16 straight victories in what has been an incredible season. 

UNC was recently awarded the top spot in the ITA rankings, jumping over Georgia after their last victory and beginning the season at No. 3 in the country.

UNC goes to Blacksburg to take on Virginia Tech on Sunday, April 14, at 1 p.m. 

@ryanheller23