Friday, Oct. 4, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

How will a new student ticket policy affect UNC football attendance?

New Football Seats

New Carolina blue seats are installed in Kenan Memorial Stadium on September 29th, 2018.

New year, new head coach, new student ticket policy. 

This year, the UNC football program is experiencing a multitude of changes. One of them is how students will get admission to home games.  

In previous years, students were able to show up to the gates at Kenan Memorial Stadium on game day, swipe their OneCard and cheer on the Tar Heel football team without a ticket. That policy has since changed, according to a release from the athletics department. The University will now require students to claim a ticket in advance to the day of the game, in addition to showing their OneCard. 

“Students will receive an email approximately 10 days before each home game directing them to log in to their student account and claim their ticket,” according to the 2019 Football Student Ticket Policy released online. 

Admissions are still free, but this policy is strictly for full-time students who have paid athletic fees and is on a first-come, first-serve basis.  

Students who have claimed a ticket are encouraged to arrive at least an hour and a half before kickoff, while students who have not claimed tickets can still arrive at Kenan Stadium to possibly receive a ticket on standby if there is still availability.  

Gerry Lajoie, senior assistant director of athletics and ticket operations, said this new change has been implemented in response in large part to the disorganization at last year’s home game against Virginia Tech, which resulted in students swarming the gates and not being admitted due to the stadium reaching max capacity. He added that with this year’s highly anticipated football schedule, more organization is necessary.  

“Certainly the excitement of Coach Brown being there is a part of (the reason for a new policy)," Lajoie said. “... I like our entire schedule, but there are certainly some games I think will have really, really good student turnout.” 

This year’s home schedule features matchups against Miami, Appalachian State, Clemson, Duke, Virginia and Mercer. These games against tough opponents are certainly expected to draw large crowds of alumni and students alike, making pre-game ticket claims helpful to UNC for preparation and safety.  

With this new policy, though, comes a variety of student opinions.  

“I think it’s inconvenient,” junior Camryn Kepley said. “But especially unfair for part-time students who can’t claim tickets ahead of time and have to wait in the standby line for tickets.” 

Junior Pauline de Larminat said her biggest complaint is that the new policy requires students to get tickets too far in advance, because students have busy schedules that are subject to change 10 days later. She also thinks many students will claim tickets, then end up not going to the game, hurting attendance.  

Lajoie refrained from guaranteeing that the new ticket policy would improve student turnout, but remains hopeful for the future, expecting acceptance of the policy to come with time.

“I think it’s going to be a good process,” Lajoie said. “I think, in time, people will become accustomed to it and they’ll like it.”

@macyxx