Friday, Oct. 4, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Letter: David Perry, UNC Chief of Police

Hello UNC-Chapel Hill!

Allow me to introduce myself — I’m UNC’s new Chief of Police David L. Perry.

Customer service and engagement are at the heart of our community-oriented policing philosophy, and these can only be achieved in an atmosphere where trust is built, partnerships strengthened and new relationships fostered. This only underscores the importance and urgency I have of meeting with students and student groups. Many of these opportunities were identified in yesterday’s Daily Tar Heel editorial, aptly titled “UNC police chief must listen,” and I fully agree.

In just my first two weeks at UNC, we have hosted our first home football game and contended with the potential impacts of a major hurricane. I’ve met with many local community partners, and I’ve spoken briefly at many meetings, including the Employee Forum and Campus Safety Committee. I also met early on with Student Body President Ashton Martin.

No single board meeting or presentation will immediately meet our goal of healing relationships. My responsiveness and availability must address all students, staff and faculty. I’m no stranger to these challenges, and I’ve addressed them successfully before. I will hopefully be meeting with as many of you this semester as possible, whether in a meeting setting, one-on-one or simply out walking across this beautiful campus. If you see me, introduce yourself. Whatever our recent history, I know you’ll discover that many of our views and priorities are the same.

Let’s partner in rebuilding the trust that is so crucial to campus safety. Yes, the UNC police chief must listen, and I am listening and ready to get to work!

David Perry, UNC Police Chief