Friday, Oct. 4, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Against App State, injuries and mistakes lead to poor performance by UNC defense

20190921_CARTER_FBvApp-5.jpg

Appalachian State wide receiver Malik Williams (14) is taken down by UNC players in Kenan Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019. UNC lost to Appalachian State 34-31.

In a 34-31 loss to Appalachian State in Chapel Hill on Saturday, the North Carolina football team had its worst defensive performance of the season. It all came down to a few key injuries, as well as some critical mistakes in big moments.

UNC (2-2) had already lost starting cornerback Patrice Rene, who tore his ACL against Miami, and were without key starters Jason Strowbridge and Myles Wolfolk at times during Saturday’s game due to injury. 

The injuries became apparent when the defense couldn’t seem to stop the Appalachian State (3-0) offense. The Mountaineers piled up 161 rushing yards and 224 passing yards, with a lot of them coming in big chunks through the air and on the ground. 

“You’re always going to be frustrated when a big play happens, but you can’t let that affect the next play,” senior defensive tackle Aaron Crawford said. “I feel like we might’ve rode a rollercoaster on defense, where we have sacks, and then they convert on the next play.”

UNC just couldn't seem to get off the field in big moments. Time and time again, App State quarterback Zac Thomas escaped the arms of a North Carolina defender and broke big runs, particularly on third downs. Thomas rushed for 57 yards on six attempts.

“He’s really good,” head coach Mack Brown said. “He’s quick. The (50-yard run) was a killer. It’s third down and seven and we don’t contain ...That’s a coaching mistake. We’ve got to teach our guys to contain.”

It happened again on a key play toward the end of the game, when the Mountaineers had a third-and-five on their own 30 yard line. A stop would have given UNC enough time to run a two-minute drill to win or tie the game.

Instead, Thomas escaped the North Carolina defense and rushed 12 yards to the App State 42-yard line. When the Tar Heels finally got the ball back, they only had 30 seconds to mount a final drive.

“At the end of the game, his legs made a play,” senior safety Myles Dorn said.

The Mountaineers were 7-15 on third down, and many of their conversions were during crucial points in the game.

“Third down is money down,” Dorn said. ”You’ve got to get off the field. I think our percentage was terrible, it wasn’t good. Any time they convert on third down, that’s more momentum on their side.”

The Tar Heels struggled, but they were also undermanned. Wolfolk snagged his third interception of the year in the second quarter, but would later leave the game with an injury. 

“You’ve got to play good to win,” Brown said. “And nobody cares about injuries. You take care of those kids and play somebody else, that’s just what you do.”

It wasn't just injuries, though. Linebacker Jeremiah Gemmel was ejected for targeting in the second quarter, and a first-half mistake from Dorn hurt, too.

“I dropped a pick today,” Dorn said. “That could’ve very well changed the whole game.”

After two straight losses, UNC won't get a break in its schedule. The Tar Heels have a date with No. 1 Clemson in Chapel Hill on Saturday. Although it may be a daunting task, Brown says it could be a good thing that they have such a tough matchup.

“We are probably lucky that we are playing the best team in the country, because that will pick our kids up," Brown said.

"They'll know the challenge."

@matt_chilson