Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

The Man in Black is coming to The ArtsCenter with 'Hello, I’m Johnny Cash'

m 

David Burney will be performing at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro for "Hello I'm Johnny Cash" on Friday, Jan. 24 - 26, 2020. Photo courtesy of Annie Burney. 

For one weekend only — David Burney, lead singer of the Johnny Cash tribute band, Johnny Folsom 4, will bring his one-man show “Hello, I’m Johnny Cash” to The ArtsCenter of Carrboro. 

The show will be performed from Jan. 24 to 26. On Friday and Saturday, the show will begin at 8 p.m. and on Sunday the show will be at 3 p.m. 

Burney has been performing in Johnny Folsom 4 for 11 years. While his musical style mirrors that of Cash, his physical appearance also closely resembles that of the late country music star. The inspiration for his one-man show is to replicate Cash’s famous Live at Folsom Prison performance from 1968.   

Johnny Folsom 4 recreated that show in Saxapahaw, North Carolina in the style of a theatrical production, imitating the live album down to each lyric and sound. 

"It sold out great,” Burney said. “The audience played the role of the inmates so they were really loud and everybody had a great time. It was packed. And when I saw that, I felt like there was for sure a place for the solo show.”

UNC student Hunter Smart said he grew up surrounded by Cash's music. He said he looks forward to seeing him being represented at The ArtsCenter.

"It reminds me of a simpler time, when I hear his music, just being a kid again," Smart said. "I think the mutual connections that a song can bring among my family is what makes it so special to me.” 

Patrick Phelps-McKeown is the artist services coordinator at Durham Arts Council and is looking forward to the theatrical performance that Burney will deliver to the audience. 

"What makes this show unique is that for one thing, it's a solo performance by David rather than a full band, so it's a little bit more intimate,” Phelps-McKeown said. “It's also kind of a theatrical work instead of it being purely a concert experience."

This performance also goes beyond just the music, Phelps-McKeown said. 

"David is also telling stories from Johnny Cash's life in character," Phelps-McKeown said. "So it's a little bit more immersive into the person that Johnny Cash was and his story instead of purely presenting the songs."

@c_heaton726