Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Student groups at UNC take celebrating Black History Month into their own hands

20200206_african_american_heritage_month-8.jpg
UNC students attend an event hosted by The Bridge and Queen in You called Black Women and Dating on Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020. This event is one of many African American Heritage Month events at UNC.

February is Black History Month, and events across campus have been planned to recognize the central role Black Americans have played throughout the country's history.

But several of those events will be hosted by student groups — and some students are unsatisfied with the University's efforts to honor the month-long celebration.

“Most of the things going on campus are through clubs,” Derrick Davis, a sophomore member of Black Student Movement (BSM), said. “I checked UNC’s social media, and they didn’t really advertise these events. You have to be in the loop to really know what’s going on.”

Davis said the only publicity he's seen for University-sponsored Black History Month events has been a post on Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz's social media.

The Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History is co-hosting several events for Black History Month. 

Taylor Barber, a junior biology major who works at the front desk of the center, said there are several upcoming events, including book talks that will include themes of African American politics and radicalization. 

Upcoming events about Black history include a 2020 Diaspora Lecture featuring Joe Trotter, a professor of history at Carnegie Mellon University who will discuss African Americans as the foundation of labor in America.  

When asked for comment, UNC Media Relations said in an email that the University has publicized African American Heritage Month events across numerous platforms this month, including:

• A full list of African American Heritage Month events published on The Well, a daily news website for UNC faculty and staff
  • A story about upcoming lectures and other events around campus on UNC's official website
  • A tweet about African American Heritage Month events via the University’s twitter account, @UNC
  • A list of African American Heritage Month events on the University Office of Diversity and Inclusion's website 

Mishka Philizaire, a first-year computer science major, said she thinks campus clubs tend to host more events celebrating Black History month than the University. 

“I feel like the celebration is limited to BSM, and that UNC didn’t do much." Philizaire said. "The only clubs I’ve seen celebrate are BSM and CUAB."

Davis said BSM is a fundamental part of how Black History Month is being recognized on campus. 

“They do a lot," Davis said. "They deserve to be recognized.”

@Lejla_Brka