Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Junior forward Brandon Huffman to transfer from UNC basketball

basketball notre dame brandon huffman

UNC forward Brandon Huffman (42) defends the ball from Notre Dame forward Juwan Durham (11) during the home men's basketball game in the Smith Center on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019. The final score was 75-69.

University of North Carolina forward Brandon Huffman is putting his name in the transfer portal, Inside Carolina reported on Thursday night. 

The 6-foot-10, 255-pound forward played in just 14 games for the Tar Heels in the 2019-20 season. He struggled with a left knee injury late in the season which kept him out of UNC's two games in the ACC Tournament in Greensboro against Virginia Tech and Syracuse. 

Huffman was a three-star recruit who came from Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, and was a part of UNC's 2017 recruiting class that included fellow big men Garrison Brooks and Sterling Manley. In 70 games over the course of his three-year UNC career, Huffman averaged 1.4 points and 1.1 rebounds in 3.1 minutes per game on 58 percent shooting. 

UNC is set to start the 2020-21 season with a loaded front court, between returning starters Brooks and Armando Bacot, as well as incoming five-star recruits Day'Ron Sharpe and Walker Kessler. Manley, who has been in the rotation over Huffman when healthy, is also expected to return from injury. 

With Huffman's transfer, UNC will now have an extra scholarship to give with only 12 scholarship players set to be on the roster at the start of the season. 

@bg_keyes