Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

University plans for potential Franklin Street rush as second UNC-Duke game approaches

Chief of Police David Perry presented the plans at a meeting of the Campus Safety Commission Wednesday

Students rush Franklin

Students rush Franklin Street following UNC's 91-87 mens basketball victory over Duke. Hundreds of students gathered at the intersection of Franklin and Columbia despite COVID-19 restrictions.

One month after students rushed Franklin Street following UNC's win over Duke on Feb. 6, another rivalry game is set for this Saturday. This week, the University is planning how to prevent a repeat occurrence if the Tar Heels win again. 

UNC Chief of Police David Perry spoke at the Campus Safety Commission meeting Wednesday about how local law enforcement plans to handle another potential rush on March 6. 

Police preparations

• There will be 12 officers at the Dean E. Smith Center, Perry said. 
  • Twelve officers will be in the area of Columbia Street and Cameron Street. This is an increase from the two officers deployed at that intersection following the away UNC-Duke game earlier this season.
  • Perry said the UNC Emergency Operations Center will be open at the time of the game. There will be as many as 30 total officers deployed that night, Perry said, and officers can be redeployed from their location if more assistance is needed in other areas after the game.
  • “We are hopeful that upon a victory — because we do want a victory — that community members and students will adhere to our requests,” Perry said. “If not, and there’s a street occurrence, (Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue) and I have assured our leaders that we’ll do our best to restore traffic and normalcy to that area as quickly as possible.” 

University communications and preparations

• “The University is working closely with the Town of Chapel Hill and the Orange County Health Department on communications to the campus community encouraging everyone to watch and celebrate a possible win safely,” University spokesperson Jeni Cook said in a statement. 
  • There will be videos from Student Affairs sent out later this week emphasize the importance of mitigating the spread of the virus by not rushing Franklin Street. 
  • The University is offering alternatives to rushing Franklin Street, such as a virtual watch party for the game hosted by the athletics department and the Residence Hall Association. 
  • The University is also communicating alternative safe options for watching the game through social media. These social media channels are highlighting any announcements made by the University regarding Saturday night. 

What’s next?

• Students can find more information about safe alternatives for watching the game on the University’s social media and website. 
  • The Campus Safety Commission will meet again on April 7 to address safety concerns and provide safety updates to the University community.