Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC Vice Chancellor of Communications Joel Curran to join Notre Dame University

022617_curran_joel002

Joel Curran is the Vice Chancellor for Communications at UNC. His last day with the University will be Oct. 8. Photo courtesy of UNC Media Relations. 

Vice Chancellor of Communications Joel Curran will be leaving UNC for a position as vice president of public affairs and communications at the University of Notre Dame, according to a University email sent Tuesday. 

His last day at UNC will be Oct. 8.

Curran became the University's first vice chancellor of communications in December 2013, according to the email. He has been involved in increasing UNC's social media presence and media relations capabilities.

He also created The Well, designed as a news source for faculty and staff, and opened a new UNC Visitors Center on Franklin Street.

"Today, University Communications is vastly different from what he inherited eight years ago," Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz said in the email. "We now have a high-performing team led by an outstanding group of senior leaders who manage a broad portfolio of communications and related functions."

The University will launch a search for a new vice chancellor of communications in the coming weeks, according to the email. Associate Vice Chancellors Tanya Moore and Beth Keith will share interim leadership responsibilities.

@alliemkelly