Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

University to close Carolina Together Testing Program on May 9

20211026_Peoples_uniontestingnov5-3.png

Members of the Carolina COVID-19 Student Services Corps volunteer at the Frank Porter Graham Union testing site on Nov. 5.

Starting on May 9, the Carolina Together Testing Program will be closed, according to a campus-wide announcement from the Carolina Together Testing Program Team on Friday.

This comes 20 months after the University first offered free, voluntary testing for students at designated locations in September of 2020.

Enrolled students who are symptomatic or would like to be tested after May 9 should contact Campus Health, which will be open for in-person visits from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Faculty and staff looking to get tested should contact their physician’s office. 

“The number of students seeking COVID-19 tests at the Carolina Union has dropped as self-test kits are widely available, and we will have fewer students on campus this summer than we do now,” the email said. 

However, the University said it has made more low-cost at-home COVID-19 tests available at the Campus Health Pharmacy, the Student Stores Pharmacy and in Carolina Union and Rams Head Recreation Center vending machines. Additionally, vaccines, boosters and anti-viral treatments are available at Campus Health. 

The University will also remove the temporary tent pavilions around campus after Commencement.

This announcement comes after the University’s mask mandate was lifted on March 7, in line with guidance from the UNC System and Orange County Health Department. This made masks optional in University buildings but still required them in all University healthcare settings and on Chapel Hill Transit. 

On March 14, Carolina Testing hours were reduced and testing became walk-in only. Testing at the Student Union was then only available Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

The University also replaced the University COVID-19 dashboard with links to external dashboards that show local, state and federal COVID trends, according to an announcement from April 6. 

The University’s COVID-19 Community Standards have not changed:

• Stay up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines
  • Masks are optional
  • Practice healthy habits
  • Be respectful of others

The University will continue to monitor local and national trends and adjust its operations as needed in consultation with public health and infectious disease experts, UNC Media Relations said in an email. 

@madikirk31

university@dailytarheel