Monday, Sept. 23, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Editorial: No Spring Break plans? No problem.

030623_Balamurugan_Spring-Trees-8.jpg

Spring foliage blooming in Chapel Hill N.C.on Monday, March 6, 2023.

Between basketball games, a semester in full swing and the warm weather, we are used to seeing a busy and bustling Chapel Hill. But for the week of Spring Break, the Town will fall silent. Crowds will dwindle as travelers embark to their hometown or some luxuriously tropical destination.

One report shows that over half of Americans planned trips in spring 2022 and that 37 percent planned to travel during spring break. This number rose from 29 percent the year before and will likely continue to increase since COVID-19 policies have eased.

We get it – the FOMO is real. Watching your peers travel while you're kicking back in your shared college town can put a damper on the relaxation that we are supposed to be enjoying. To combat the ultimate Spring Break FOMO, here's a comprehensive guide to having fun even if you're staying on Tar Heel territory over break:

Rest. Rest. Rest.

In case you missed it, we really think you should use this time to rest. It is halfway through the semester, and many of us are burnt out. It can be hard to care about coursework as summer gets closer, especially for those suffering from senioritis. Use this time to rest up so you can be a true academic weapon ahead of finals.

Pick up that book you were too busy to read. Lounge outside in a hammock or by a pool. Sleep past noon – we won't judge. Use this time in ways that nourish your mind and body with the enrichment (and sleep) you have probably been denying it.

Be out on the town

There are a ton of solo activities in the Triangle that are actually worth the hype. Go to the Carrboro Farmers' Market, open Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon, and when you're done, have coffee and pastries at Lanza's Cafe. It's an Editorial Board favorite.

Bookworms should check out the Durham County Main Library. Its modern vibes are thanks to a recent renovation, and the space includes a multi-sensory room, a sensory calming room and archives specific to Durham. Plus, free parking.

Head to Weaver Street Market, grab a bite and enjoy the outdoor seating and dining. It's a great place to read a book, enjoy the weather or knock out some of that work you've been procrastinating.

You likely won't be the only person you know staying in Chapel Hill this Spring Break. Search UNC’s event calendar and see what piques your interest.  You can check out local happenings on Downtown Chapel Hill’s webpage.

Enjoy the outdoors

Speaking of outdoors, it is the perfect time of year for soaking up the sun. If you are a fan of quiet time, we recommend going to Coker Arboretum. This five-acre natural space is open to the public, located on campus and has flat, accessible trails to explore.

If you want to stray from campus without going too far, every UNC student should check out Jordan Lake at some point. Located in Chatham County, Jordan Lake State Recreation area has swimming spots, as well as 15 miles of hiking trails. Pack lunch and a water bottle, and enjoy.

Put yourself first

If you're a student, chances are your schedule is demanding. Courses, clubs, jobs, internships and probably a lot of laundry. Staying on campus means you get a break from the hustle and bustle without having anything else on your plate. It can beneficial to your mental and emotional well-being to use this time for yourself.

Being satisfied with your surroundings and focusing on your mental health truly allows you to have an enjoyable break. Always remember, no matter where you are or who you are with, you have the ability to find peace and joy around you. 

Be well, Tar Heels, and see you after the break.

@dthopinion

opinion@dailytarheel.com