Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Minnesota natives Carlson, Horvath, lead Diamond Heels to win over Wright State

uncvuva (15 of 26).jpg

Junior third baseman Mac Horvath looks towards the dugout before an at-bat against the University of Virginia on Thursday, May 25, 2023. The Diamond Heels won 10-2. 

The Diamond Heels owe a thank you to the state of Minnesota, for it was Minnesota natives, juniors Max Carlson and Mac Horvath, that made their mark in UNC’s 5-0 victory over Wright State in a Terre Haute Regional elimination game.

The Tar Heels faced a win-or-go-home scenario after losing to Iowa — where starting pitching and the struggle to hit with runners on base were a struggle all night. 

As head coach Scott Forbes preaches, it all starts with pitching. 

“We told our pitching staff today, we didn’t talk about anything about winning today,” Forbes said.  

Carlson took that mantra to heart and came out hot, going nine up, nine down through the first three innings. While the righty allowed sixteen hits over 7.2 innings in his last two appearances, Carlson was efficient, allowing only one hit in his outing. 

Even with an umpire's inquiry to hand fluttering in Carlson’s windup, he went 6.2 innings, striking out five and producing a strike percentage of about 73.

His fellow Minnesotan, Horvath — nicknamed “Donkey” — had a personal goal for the regional matchup, to “protect the swamp," in an ode to Shrek. Horvath did protect his team’s hopes of a regional victory and had his bat in four of the Diamond Heel’s five runs.

In Horvath’s previous outing against Iowa, however, he racked up four strikeouts on the night and struggled with timing at the plate. Those issues seemed to slither into Horvath’s early performance against the Raiders, striking out in the first inning and inducing a double play in the third.

But, Horvath’s 6-4-3 double play scored junior catcher Tomas Frick and gave the Tar Heels their first lead of the game.

Horvath didn’t stop there. The slugger broke his 0-13 hitting streak by smashing a three-run homer over the left field fence, easing some pressure off of Carlson and sophomore reliever Dalton Pence.

While the Minnesota boys made their presence known throughout the nine innings against the Raiders, it was a full team effort with stalwart defense, eight hits and the two pitchers combining for a one-hit game. 

“The Heels are good when the backs are against a wall,” Carlson said. “We just stick with the process, keep doing what we’ve been doing all year, stay strong from the neck up, and just keep going.”

@gracegnugent