Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Recreational facilities offer ways to stay active, involved on campus

20220615_connors_campus-rec-2.jpg
Basketball courts at the Student Recreation Center (SRC) are pictured on June 15, 2022. The SRC also features two multipurpose studios with hardwood floors and a large weight room with cardio and strength training equipment.

New students can stay active on campus throughout their time at UNC. Whether through team sports, solo gym time or fitness classes, there are ways for everyone to move their body and work out.

UNC's main gym, the Student Recreation Center, is located on South Road across from the Student Stores. The SRC is home to a weight room, cardio and strength training equipment and a multipurpose studio for group fitness classes on the second floor.

The SRC, conveniently located near mid-campus, also neighbors Fetzer Hall and Woollen Gym. Fetzer houses an indoor cycling studio, two multipurpose gyms, and an indoor climbing wall. There are also six squash courts and 14 racquetball courts.

Woollen includes basketball courts, equipment rentals, a CPR training lab and additional multipurpose rooms for instruction.

On South Campus, and close to the first-year dorms, is Rams Head Recreation Center. Similarly to the SRC, Rams Head offers weights, cardio equipment and fitness classes in a multipurpose room.

This facility also offers an indoor track, basketball courts, an indoor climbing wall and is ADA accessible with a gender-neutral restroom.

Becky Eacho, the assistant director for fitness and wellbeing at Campus Recreation, says Rams Head has benefits, especially being on a large campus.

“I think that sometimes our satellite facility Rams Head is underutilized,” she said. “I think people automatically think of Campus Recreation and they think the SRC but you can also do your traditional gym, weight room and cardio exercises over at Rams Head.”

Deeper into South Campus, located near the Dean Smith Center and Rams Village, is the South Campus Recreation Complex. This is an outdoor facility offering numerous pickleball, basketball, tennis and sand volleyball courts.

For those interested in the outdoors, the Carolina Outdoor Education Center also offers a wide array of ways to stay active.

“(The Outdoor Education Center) has 67 acres of green space, 18 hole disc golf, sand volleyball, tennis courts, four miles of multi-use trails and its awesome, really great trails,” said Senior Assistant Director of Campus Recreation David Rogers. 

“There's a high and low ropes challenge course, we do by reservation on the high ropes course. You can get quite a workout on the ropes course," he said. "It's called the Tar Heel Towers.”

The Outdoor Education Center also offers different outdoor experiences that students can sign up for, such as hiking.

With a vast amount of program offerings and ways to stay fit at UNC, Eacho said there is something for everyone. 

“I think we touch a lot of different facets of fitness, aside from your traditional, just come in, lift weights and leave,” she said. “So, I think from an accessibility standpoint, there really is something for everyone, depending on where you're at in your time here at Carolina.” 

While there are plenty of options to stay active on campus, rising sophomore Sawyer Kohman-Eidem emphasized the importance of finding time in your day to exercise.

“I think there are opportunities and you have to get up early or stay up late to get them," he said. “It takes a little bit of an ‘early bird gets the worm mentality’ to do it.”

Hooker Fields, Woollen Gym and Bowman Gray Memorial Pool also serve as places where students can stay active and participate in a wide array of sports or fitness that they enjoy.