Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Review: “Men on Boats” puts a vigorous twist on the western explorer

20231013_Peng_lifestyle-men-on-boats-ktc
The Kenan Theatre Company presents "Men on Boats" at Kenan Theatre in the Joan H. Gillings Center on Friday, Oct. 13, 2023.

When I was in middle school, my quiz bowl team went to the local history museum, where there was a highly promoted exhibit on Lewis and Clark. While recognizing the role played by Sacagawea and the enslaved man York, I still came away with the impression that explorers of the American West were out-of-this-world figures: firm in purpose, striking in nobility and undaunted in the face of adversity. 

Last weekend, Western adventurers in Kenan Theatre Company’s production of “Men on Boats” by Jaclyn Backhaus gave a decidedly different impression: they spent some time striking manly poses and naming mountains after themselves, but more time running around in terror screaming “OH SHIT, OH MY GOD!” and “JESUS CHRIST, POWELL!”

Powell refers to John Wesley Powell, played by Ayla Rodriguez, whose 1869 expedition through the rivers of Utah and Arizona charted much of the Southwest and was the first recorded passage of white men through the Grand Canyon. “Men on Boats,” puts a number of twists on the traditional narrative surrounding Western explorers.

The expedition was an all-male affair in 1869, but the productions of the play since its premiere in 2015 — including the performance at Kenan — have usually featured no male actors. It proves an interesting comparison with PlayMakers Repertory Company’s production of Hamlet last winter, in which the lead role was played by a woman.

Everyone in “Men on Boats” is decked out in period costumes such as string ties and boots, but their stage presence feels rooted in modern experience.

The Howland brothers, played by Alivia Weum and Izzy Mitchell, are given the character of edgy goth girls and Powell’s occasional personal bickers with William Dunn (Erica Bass) end up looking like a recognizable toxic friend feud. 

The cartographer Hall (Swetha Anand) colors maps with crayons, and the whiskey recovered from a capsized boat is actually Hi-C juice boxes, which the characters gulp down with hilarious enthusiasm. 

This all heightens the sense that the group dynamics of manly men in the 19th-century Wild West were not all that different from the dramatic slumber parties of middle school girls.

This was helped by the fact that the whole cast brought an impressive physicality to the performance. The floor shook as they careened and cursed wildly around the stage to represent hurtling down the rapids and waterfalls of the Colorado River. 

It almost seems melodramatic, until you remember that the historical figures were literally fighting for their lives, and three of the ten main characters are presumed dead by the end.

Olivian Ingledue played a compelling, pink-haired version of the tough, competent character John Colton Sumner. Ali Patalano’s version of the playful, naive Bradley was funny and deserved more laughs than it got. 

The cast was overall effective in highlighting the play’s key contrast between the unabated panic, fear and hunger that must have characterized Western exploration and the romantic way expeditions were recorded and remembered. 

Rodriguez recites high-falutin phrases from the historical Powell’s journal, proclaiming “what a chamber for a resting place is this!” shortly before the rest of the crew proclaims “Holy FUCKING SHIT!” and smashes a snake with a coffee pot. 

Powell obliquely admits that “food is quite pertinent in regards to our survival” before the rest of the crew, starving to death in a very funny scene, lusting for and savoring one bite each of the only good apple.

The play was the 10th Lillian Chason production, founded by the parents of a first-year drama student who passed away in 2009. It was directed by Claire Koenig, a UNC alumna and Philadelphia-based actor and director.

@satchelwalton

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com