Friday, July 5, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Triangle communities celebrate LGBTQ+ pride throughout June, from parades to parties

20240601_Zinn_lifestyle-pride-promenade-parade-26.jpg
A local resident, embellished from head to toe in colorful beads, face paint, and pride accessories poses for a portrait at the Chapel Hill Pride Promenade on Saturday, June 1, 2024.

June 1 marks the first day of Pride Month. Officially recognized in 1999 by the federal government to celebrate gay and lesbian people, communities throughout the United States have since come together throughout June to celebrate LGBTQ+ rights and visibility.

Here’s a list of Pride Month festivities happening throughout Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham and Raleigh this June:

Chapel Hill Pride Promenade | June 1 from 12-3 p.m.

Chapel Hill — To kickoff Small Town Pride!, the Town of Chapel Hill is hosting the third annual Chapel Hill Pride Promenade. The parade will start at the Peace & Justice Plaza, where participants will listen to guest speakers, before walking down Franklin Street. The parade will stop at 140 W. Franklin Plaza — currently home to a Pride month sculpture, Think Outside the Box — for a street market and music.

Orgullo Latinx Pride | June 8 from 5-9 p.m.

Carrboro  El Centro Hispano is hosting its fourth Orgullo Latinx at the Carrboro Town Commons to celebrate LGBTQ+ folks in the local Latinx community. The event will include drag shows, food trucks, prizes and a DJ.

Pride Night Market | June 8 from 5-10 p.m.

Durham — The Glass Jug Beer Lab is hosting its first ever Pride Night Market, with the Fae & Ghoul Collective. The market will include art and vintage vendors, live music and a Gator on the Grill food truck, all located in the beer garden.

Run for Love 5K | June 8 at 9 a.m.

Raleigh — Trophy Brewing Co. is hosting their annual Run for Love 5K benefitting Raleigh Pride and the LGBTQ+ Center. The race will start at Biggs Drive at the Dorothea Dix Park. After the race, Trophy Brewing & Taproom will host an afterparty with Trophy beer, food trucks and a drag show. The top three winners will win cash prizes of $300, $200 and $100.

Queer Fashion Showcase | June 13 at 6-9 p.m.

Raleigh — The Queer Fashion Showcase, hosted by Raleigh Pride, will feature Raleigh-based queer designers and their looks, ranging from couture to ready-to-wear. The event will be at Junction West.

Auroraflow Pride Block Party | June 15 from 4-9 p.m.

Durham — Auroraflow massage parlor is hosting an outdoor block party in downtown Durham, outside their parlor location, and will feature live drag performances, local vendors and music. A portion of the proceeds from the event will go to Sacred Solidarity, a Durham-based fund supporting Palestinian refugees in Egypt.

Rumors Chapel Hill Pride Market | June 16 and 30 from 12-6:30 p.m.

Chapel Hill — Rumors Chapel Hill, a boutique and consignment shop, will be having a Pride Market, featuring handmade pieces from queer vendors including jewelry, prints and up-cycled clothing.

Out! Raleigh Pride | June 22 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Raleigh — The 12th annual Out! Raleigh Pride will be on Fayetteville Street and will offer live entertainment, local vendors and artists and a beer garden. An afterparty will be held at The Ritz, and an after-after party will be at LGBTQ+ nightclub Legends.

Book Fair for Grown-Ups at Dingo Dog: Summertime PRIDE Edition! | June 23 from 5-7 p.m.

Carrboro — Flyleaf is hosting a Summertime PRIDE! edition of their Book Fair for Grown-Ups at the Dingo Dog Taproom in Carrboro. For June, the Book Fair will feature beach reads and books from queer authors. 

Pride Piper Walk | June 28 at 4:30 p.m.

Carrboro — Town officials will roll Rainbow Ram down Weaver Street, starting at the Carrboro Century Center and ending at the Carrboro Town Commons for the Carrboro Pride Dance Party. Community members are invited to join the procession.

Carrboro Pride Dance Party | June 28 from 5-8 p.m.

Carrboro  The Town of Carrboro is hosting the Carrboro Pride Dance Party at the Carrboro Town Commons after they have acquired Rainbow Ram to join the fun. Participants can grab a bite to eat from food trucks, watch drag show performances and listen to music from WXYC Radio DJs. Tables with resources for supporting the LGBTQ+ community will also be set up.

Pride Party | June 29 from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Durham — Dram & Draught in Durham is hosting a Pride Party, with music from Durham-based DJ Webbie. Dram & Draught will provide specialty cocktails. This event is for people aged 21 and older.

@morganmbrenner

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com