Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC expands registration resources for incoming first-years

opinion-satire-connect-carolina
Texture courtesy of Adobe Stock.

With a new cohort of first-years and transfer students entering UNC this fall, students and faculty on campus shared their tips on navigating class registration as an incoming undergraduate.

Incoming first-years register for classes via the ConnectCarolina website with individual registration times determined by their date of orientation, beginning on the second Monday in July. Students will be able to register for classes in 24-hour windows corresponding to their registration appointment. 

Cliff Jones, a director for Thrive Hubs advising, said students can view their registration appointment in the Student Center page of their ConnectCarolina account.

Although there are 22 different orientation sessions offered this summer, Jones said this year’s registration process will have an improved student seat release process to provide an equal opportunity to register for certain classes. 

First-years will also be able to meet with academic advisers during New Student Orientation to learn more about different course options, plans and credits before registration. 

Jones said there are some improvements to the registration experience this year, saying that prior to orientation, advising will also offer one-on-one appointments for all incoming first-year students. 

“We’re providing better support for students as they prepare for registration,” Jones said. “We have built a new pre-orientation module that students go through that has all the information they need and is very engaging when it comes to registration.”

Unlike registration for returning students, Jones said that there will not be registration waves for incoming first-years. Instead, he said first-years will be able to originally register for up to 17 credit hours during their appointment, then add more classes during open enrollment. 

To be considered a full-time student at the University, students must take a minimum of 12 credit hours, with the average course being 3 credit hours.

Incoming first-years must complete several requirements during their first year, including an Ideas, Information, and Inquiry course — known as a Triple-I — and co-requisite Data Literacy Lab, a College Thriving class and a First-Year Seminar or First-Year Launch

Jones said registration appointments this summer will occur at 10 a.m. However, he said students seeking accommodations through Accessibility Resources and Service programs will be able to register at 8:30 a.m. 

Sophomore Vaibhav Singhal said while he was not able to get into all of the classes he wanted to take his first year, he added new courses to his schedule as the summer progressed due to more class spots opening. 

Singhal said he recommends that students should take a smaller course load in their first semester at UNC. Additionally, he said he thought students should also try to space out STEM classes in their schedules, a Gen Ed requirement that all students need to take at their time at the University.

“I would say for your first semester, get some general requirements out of the way,” Singhal said. “It takes out some of your lighter classes and lets you see how college feels. You're not going to be behind if you take the classes you need to take in the second semester instead of first semester freshman year.” 

Giselle Almeida, an orientation leader at UNC, said students should also be open to trying out new classes, especially during registration. 

Even though Almeida said she was a biochemistry major, she took GERM 280: 20th-Century German Philosophy and Modern Youth Cultures as one of her Gen Eds, saying that the content was interesting, despite the name.

“It was one of the most meaningful classes I have ever taken just because of the professor,” Almeida said.

Almeida said students in the class would analyze different texts by German philosophers and apply those ideas to movies, learning about topics related to youth culture such as rock music. 

“College is a good opportunity to check out what you might like and you could find something that you are really passionate about,” Almeida said.

@akashbhowmik159

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com