Saturday, June 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

How to beat the heat in Chapel Hill this summer

06242024_richards_summer-pool-61.jpg
The Kessing Outdoor Pool, located on UNC's campus, is an inviting spot to relax during a heat wave.

Summer began on June 20 and North Carolina was greeted with a heat wave. Temperatures are expected to stay consistently in the 90s all week and the heat index — or “feels-like” temperatures — will be even higher.

Heat exhaustion, which can occur when the body’s temperature reaches 100 F, occurs when the human body loses water and salt. Some symptoms include nausea and vomiting, weakness and lightheadedness. Heatstroke can occur when the body’s internal temperature reaches 103 F, and can be life-threatening. Tell-tale signs include rapid pulse, clammy skin and loss of consciousness. 

It can be a challenge to figure out ways to stay cool in such intense heat — especially in a town not close to the ocean — so here are some local suggestions to beat the heat.

Public pools 

There are three public pools owned by the Town of Chapel Hill. The A.D. Clark Outdoor Pool is located at 216 N. Roberson St. and is part of the Hargraves Center. The Chapel Hill Community Center Indoor Pool is located at 120 S. Estes Drive. Lastly, the Homestead Aquatic Center indoor pool is located at 300 Aquatic Drive. The schedules for all three pools can be found on the Town of Chapel Hill website. 

Prices vary for residents and non-residents. Prices for those 8 years old and younger are $2 for residents and $3 for non-residents. For those aged 9-18, the cost is $3 for residents and $5 for non-residents. For those 19 and older, residents must pay $5 and non-residents must pay $9. 

Swimming holes

Jordan Lake is located in both Chatham and Durham counties and covers around 14,000 acres of land. Its maximum depth is 38 feet, and there are several beaches designated for swimming.

Seaforth Beach is located around 30 minutes from Chapel Hill. Across NC-64 is Parker’s Creek and Ebenezer Beach is located south on a different peninsula of the lake. Other access points with swimming beaches include White Oak Recreation Area and Vista Point Access.

The Eno River, located north of Chapel Hill, spans 40 miles. Some popular swimming spots are West Point on the Eno, located in Durham, and the Eno River Rock Quarry, which is located off of a 0.8 mile hike from the Eno River Cabelands Access point in Durham. The quarry is extremely deep and does not decline gradually. Exercise caution if swimming and make sure to bring inflatables or lifejackets. Cliff jumping at the quarry has led to deaths and is strongly advised against.

The Haw River, which feeds into Jordan Lake, has several access points in towns around central North Carolina. Some spots include Glencoe Paddle Access in Burlington, Saxapahaw Island Park in Saxapahaw and Chicken Bridge in Pittsboro. The Haw River Assembly conducts weekly testing of E. coli levels in Haw River and Jordan Lake access points and publishes them online. 

Ice cream, popsicles and snow cones

Maple View Farm, located at 6900 Rocky Ridge Road in Hillsborough, is an ice cream parlor overlooking farms just outside of Chapel Hill.

Franklin Street is home to Cold Stone Creamery and Ben & Jerry’s, as well as Yogurt Pump, which stays open until 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and until 11 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Pelican’s Snoballs, located in Carrboro, has over 100 flavors of shaved ice. Additionally, Weaver Street Market in Carrboro carries LocoPops, which are locally-made in Durham. 

Indoor activities

The Chelsea Theater shows independent and blockbuster films and is Orange County’s only nonprofit movie theater. Other theater options include Silverspot Cinema, which has discounted tickets on Tuesdays; the AMC at Southpoint Mall; and the Lumina, which has discounted tickets on Tuesdays and for students on Thursdays.

The Ackland Art Museum, located on South Columbia Street, is UNC’s art museum and is open Wednesday through Sunday for free. The Museum of Life and Science in Durham has over 20 exhibits, both indoor and outdoor. Though most activities are geared toward children, the museum can be a fun outing for adults and kids alike. Additionally, the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences is a four-floor museum located in downtown Raleigh, with live mammals, bugs and sea creatures. 

@lolaoliverio

@dthcitystate | city@dailytarheel.com