Thursday, June 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Column: Don't be afraid to make the first move in a friendship

monoson-column
Summer Managing Editor Sarah Monoson poses with her friend at The DTH office during a Duke-UNC basketball watch party on Feb. 3, 2024.

Until college, I had the same group of friends almost my whole life, with little variation in that roster. I love them dearly, but our group’s dynamic and long history left me badly socialized — like a pandemic-era puppy who didn’t know there was a world of people outside the walls of their house

Sure, I’d had other casual friends growing up, but I never breached our level of friendship to invite these people out to a movie or lunch. I had my core friends, so it never occurred to me to risk embarrassment by making more (the mortifying ordeal of being known, and all that).

This left me ill-prepared for UNC.

I was 18 years old and I didn’t know how to make a friend. How do I continue a conversation beyond establishing our names, years, majors, residence halls and hometowns? How can I tell the difference between friendly pre-class chat and a burgeoning friendship? Is there a difference?

My strategy became continued proximity. The most notable branch of this plan was to attend weekly Shabbat services at UNC Hillel as often as I could. I went to the first Shabbat of my fall semester, made some idle chatter and fled immediately after dinner.

It was awkward and hard and I much rather preferred to spend my Friday night watching Tik Toks in bed. But the next week, I went back. And the next. And the next.

Several weeks in, still making idle chatter and nothing that seemed close to the beginnings of true friendship, I took inventory of my efforts. I had accomplished nothing — no friends at Hillel, none in my classes, nor on the bus or anywhere else. I felt like I was showing up and putting in the work for no reason.

At the start of the spring semester, I went to a first-year social at Hillel hoping for something new, but expecting more grueling small talk. Instead, I met a girl who recognized me from a shared class. It was her first time at Hillel, and was probably going to be my last, but we exchanged numbers and plans to see each other again.

To my surprise, she texted me not long after. It was just a Tik Tok that reminded her of our professor, but it felt promising. We started going to Shabbat together almost every week. When she suggested we grab coffee sometime, something clicked in my mind.

Yes, I had been showing up. But that was only half the battle — I was lingering in doorways without asking to come in. I was passively waiting for something to happen instead of making it happen myself. I wanted the benefits of friendship without risking the danger of vulnerability.

To those of you who are worried about making new friends in a new place, trust yourself. People are probably hoping you ask them out to coffee just as much as you’re hoping they ask you. Make the first move.

@sarah_monoson

@dthopinion | opinion@dailytarheel.com

Sarah Monoson

Sarah Monoson is the 2024 summer managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She previously served as the 2024 spring copy chief and 2023 fall assistant copy editor. Sarah is a junior pursuing a degree in journalism with minors in history and global cinema.