Thursday, June 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Column: Explore the towns outside Chapel Hill

B28E2FD7-08E7-4763-AE38-ACB03A18715A_1_105_c.jpeg
Photo courtesy of Lola Oliviero.

I’ve lived in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area since I was four years old. The first time I was allowed to wander Franklin Street completely alone, I was 12, and it was the first time I felt like I had some semblance of freedom. 

Now, at 20, the novelty to explore this area on my own terms has never worn off. I’m constantly finding new places to deem “my spot.” 

When I meet out-of-state students and mention Weaver Street Market or CommunityWorx thrift shop, they very rarely know what I’m talking about. It baffles me every time — as a kid, downtown Carrboro felt like the whole world. It had everything I could possibly need.

How could the places I took the Chapel Hill Transit buses to after class in middle school be so far out of the realm of exploration for the average UNC student, despite being in walking distance?

Since becoming said average UNC student, I get it —  if you don’t have a car, sometimes all you can really fathom trekking to is Franklin. For instance, there’s a Target with a grocery store and pharmacy in walking distance, so why else would you venture to the Harris Teeter and CVS Pharmacy on North Greensboro Street? 

Carrboro

Carrboro — previously known as West End, Lloydville and later Venable — was established as a town in 1911. It’s significantly smaller than Chapel Hill, with a population of only around 21,000, and was the first municipality in North Carolina to elect an openly gay mayor. Carrboro can be reached by the Chapel Hill Transit J, F, CM, CW and HS bus lines.

Every Saturday, the Carrboro Farmers' Market is held at the Carrboro Town Commons from 7 a.m. until 12 p.m. from April through October and 9 a.m. until 12 p.m. in the remaining months. Additionally, from April to November, the market is also held on Wednesday afternoons from 3-6 p.m.

The Carrboro Farmers’ Market is a great place to stock up on locally-grown fruits, vegetables and other artisan goods from independent sellers. 

Just down the street is Weaver Street Market, which I like to describe to out-of-staters as a local Whole Foods due to its extensive hot bar and bakery selection in addition to its traditional grocery store section. Weaver Street Market has indoor and outdoor seating and can be a great place to meet up for a coffee or to grab a quick pre-made organic meal. 

If you’re looking to thrift, CommunityWorx Thrift Shop is an excellent choice. Every day they have a new selection of furniture out front and shelves upon shelves of knick-knacks, clothes and books. If antiques are more your style, try Scavenger Antiques.

In terms of coffee, some stand-out Carrboro coffee shops include Open Eye Cafe — a popular spot for dates, homework and catching up with old friends — or Grey Squirrel, which is located next to Cat’s Cradle.

Raul Rodas, 2012 World Barista Champion, serves as a guest barista at Open Eye Cafe in Carrboro, Wednesday morning, Feb. 6.Raul Rodas, the 2012 World Barista Champion, serves as a guest barista at Open Eye Cafe in Carrboro, Wednesday morning, Feb. 6. Rodas is from Guatemala City, Guatemala, and first started serving coffee to help pay for college. He has his own roastery in Guatemala City and hopes to open a workshop space to teach interested people about coffee. 
Open Eye owner Scott Conary said Rodas represents "what coffee could be and should be," which is why he brought Rodas in as a guest barista.
Raul Rodas, 2012 World Barista Champion, serves as a guest barista at Open Eye Cafe in Carrboro, Wednesday morning, Feb. 6.Raul Rodas, the 2012 World Barista Champion, serves as a guest barista at Open Eye Cafe in Carrboro, Wednesday morning, Feb. 6. Rodas is from Guatemala City, Guatemala, and first started serving coffee to help pay for college. He has his own roastery in Guatemala City and hopes to open a workshop space to teach interested people about coffee. Open Eye owner Scott Conary said Rodas represents "what coffee could be and should be," which is why he brought Rodas in as a guest barista.

Cat’s Cradle is a live music venue with a rich history, having put on shows from artists such as Nirvana, Sonic Youth and Iggy Pop. The venue hosts shows most nights of the week and partners with many other local venues to put on concerts all around the area. 

Some local restaurants include Tesoro, an intimate pasta restaurant; The Spotted Dog, an eatery that specializes in plant-based food but does, in fact, have meat options; as well as Napoli and Pizzeria Mercato, two Neapolitan pizza restaurants located in the heart of Carrboro.

Hillsborough

I once met someone who didn’t know Hillsborough existed, even though they rode the “Explore Hillsborough” adorned bus to and from class. Hillsborough, a town about 20 minutes north of Chapel Hill with a population of less than 10,000, is located just off of NC-86 and home to one of the nearest Waffle Houses to UNC's campus. 

Hillsborough is the county seat for Orange County, and the Orange County Courthouse is located in the heart of the town. 

Hillsborough is located along the Eno River and is home to the nearby Occoneechee Mountain. There are several spots to swim in the Eno River, though most of them are technically located in Durham. West Point on the Eno is a great option if you’re not in the mood for a hike. If you’re willing to walk 0.8 miles, the Eno River Rock Quarry is a beautiful swimming spot with glistening green-blue water. 

The Hillsborough Arts Council holds a monthly festival from March through October called Last Fridays, where visitors can experience live music and explore art galleries. Additionally, the Orange County Sportsplex in Hillsborough has year-round indoor ice skating for as low as $10.

Saxapahaw

Saxapahaw, located about 25 minutes west of Chapel Hill, is a census-designated place in Alamance County. It is located along the Haw River and has a population of 1,200. The Haw River Ballroom is a concert venue located in the heart of Saxapahaw and has put on shows from artists such as Big Thief, The Mountain Goats and Angel Olsen. 

Saturdays in Saxapahaw is a festival held weekly from May through September on the lawn across from the Haw River Ballroom. There are live music performances, a farmers market and food trucks.  

Pittsboro 

Pittsboro, located around 20 miles southwest of Chapel Hill, is a small town in — and the county seat of — Chatham County. The downtown area is situated around a large roundabout with a local history museum in the center. 

Some unique stores include Finders & Seekers Emporium, a large antique and craft store in Pittsboro that sells everything from beer bottle cap earrings and vintage tees to locally-made ceramics, and Circle City Books & Music — a used bookstore with shelves upon shelves of books and music across many genres.

Additionally, most of the public beaches at Jordan Lake are located in and around Pittsboro. Public swimming areas include Seaforth Beach, Ebenezer Church and Parker’s Creek. 

@LolaOliverio

@dthopinion | opinion@dailytarheel.com