Wednesday, July 3, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Armando Bacot, Cormac Ryan enter NBA contracts after going undrafted

Diehl_ACC_SEMIFINALS-HALFTIME-4.JPG

UNC graduate center Armando Bacot (5) dunks the ball during the men’s ACC tournament semifinal basketball game against Pitt at the Capital One Arena on Friday, March 15, 2024. UNC beat Pitt with a score of 72-65.

After going undrafted during the 2024 NBA Draft, former UNC men's basketball players Armando Bacot and Cormac Ryan both signed Exhibit 10 contracts with the Utah Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder, respectively. 

Last season, Bacot averaged 14.5 points and 10.3 rebounds per game. During his senior campaign, the center set the UNC record for most rebounds and double-doubles. Now, he will have a chance to compete for a regular-season roster spot on the Jazz. 

Bacot will join fellow Tobacco Road rival Kyle Filipowski in Utah, after the former Duke center was drafted as the No. 32 pick on Thursday. 

Ryan will also have the opportunity to compete for a chance at the pros. The contract guarantees that he will see the court during the Salt Lake City Summer League and NBA 2K25 Summer League in Las Vegas. 

Last season, the wing averaged 11.5 points per game. In March, he scored a career-high 31 points against Duke, pushing the Tar Heels to an 84-79 win against the Blue Devils at Cameron Indoor Stadium. 

UNC forward Harrison Ingram was the only Tar Heel to get drafted. He was selected as the No. 48 pick by the San Antonio Spurs.

@_emmahmoon

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com