Friday, June 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

A guide to UNC football gamedays

20231111 - UNC FOOTBALL VS. DUKE HOMECOMING GAME
UNC fans rush the football field after the homecoming game against Duke in Kenan Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023. UNC beat Duke 47-45.

If there is one thing UNC is known for, it's the infectious sports culture. 

But for students coming to the University for the first time, the sports scene can sometimes be overwhelming. 

Imagine this: The fall semester has just begun, your first week of classes have been completed and you’ve started making some friends on campus. You manage to score some tickets to a football game through the student ticket lottery system, and you’re excited. That fateful day arrives and everyone's flooding Kenan Stadium, but a few thoughts enter your mind upon arrival. 

This is awesome — followed by — how does this work and what should I know? 

To get inside the stadium, students need to pass a security checkpoint. The Carolina Athletic Association recommends that fans leave bags at home. If someone needs to bring a bag in, small clear bags are allowed. Items that may cause excessive distraction to the players are prohibited, such as artificial noisemakers, explosives, fireworks and laser pointers.

Although outside food and drink isn't allowed, students can purchase food at the stands inside Kenan Stadium. All transactions are cashless, so cards are needed to buy concessions. Fans are limited to two alcoholic beverages per transaction and alcohol sales are open until the fourth quarter begins. 

When the game starts, the Marching Tar Heels will hype up the crowd with their pregame routine. 

Lewis-09242022-NotreDame-61.jpg
The UNC Marching Tar Heels perform the National Anthem in Kenan Stadium during the pre-game show of the Notre Dame football game on Sept. 24, 2022.

There are many cheers and chants that are must-knows when you are at the football game. When the team receives a first down, the announcers will say "First down Tar..." to which everyone in the stadium will respond "Heels!" The chant is simple but effective; it’s easy to pick up on without much direction and incredibly powerful when the stadium is filled to capacity.

Another cheer fans will hear is the spelling out of U-N-C and C-A-R-O-L-I-N-A with their arms. 

Throughout the game, certain situations will prompt situational cheers. When UNC is on offense, the crowd will become silent to not distract the players. But when on defense, the crowd will try to make as much noise as possible.

During crunch time in the fourth quarter, a mash-up of “Hells Bells” by AC/DC and “Can’t Be Touched” by Roy Jones Jr. can always be heard. The mash-up originated in 2002 when, with 6 minutes to go, an employee at the Carrier Dome played “Hell’s Bells” in an attempt to reinvigorate the Syracuse Orange into a comeback victory.

It had the opposite effect.

Their song choice shared the same opening notes as the theme song to John Bunting's “Answer the Bell." The three-word phrase had been the message during summer workouts and then fatigue struck. The Tar Heels maintained the lead and closed the game out against Syracuse. Ever since, “Hells Bell” has become a staple song in UNC football.

When the Tar Heels win, the band will begin to play “Carolina Victory” by Robert McManeus.

20211016_Westra_football-vs-miami-15.jpg
Sophomore linebacker Cedric Gray (33) celebrates with fans after the Tar Heel win against Miami at Kenan Stadium on Oct. 16.

Regardless, the event closes with one of the most iconic songs in UNC history. First performed in 1897, "Hark the Sound," written by William Starr Myers, closes every sporting event at UNC regardless of the result.

Win or lose, these rules and cheers are what students need to know to join in on UNC's infectious sports culture. 

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com