Friday, Sept. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

GoTriangle to reinstate bus fares beginning Aug. 1

20231213_Skvoretz_File-bus-stop.jpg
A Go Triangle bus stopped near the Student Stores on South Road on Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2023.

After over four years of running fare-free, GoTriangle will resume collecting bus fares for all riders on Aug. 1.

Fares have been increased by 25 cents with the reinstatement, and fixed routes are now $2.50 a ride. However, a cap system has been introduced to create a maximum an individual would have to pay in any given period of time. The daily cap is $5, the weekly cap is $20 and the monthly cap is $80. 

GoTriangle — formerly known as Triangle Transit — is a transit organization that has been serving parts of Wake, Orange and Durham counties with regular bus routes since 1989.

In March 2020, GoTriangle suspended collection of bus fares due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The suspension was intended to keep drivers safe by limiting contact and to allow critical workers who were financially impacted by the pandemic travel where they needed to go.

Eric Curry, chief communications officer of GoTriangle, said fares are being reinstated at this point because of concerns over increasing costs.

“With rising operating costs — such as fuel and purchasing of new buses as well as replacements — as well as trying to stay competitive across the globe [and] across the country with operators and salary and wages, we could not afford to go another year without making this decision to return to fares,” he said.

Fares for region-specific GoTriangle services such as GoDurham and GoCary will remain free through June 2025. GoRaleigh, however, will resume fare collection on Sept. 1 of this year.

An earlier announcement said that fares would resume July 1, but, with a pass that can be obtained through the Umo Transit app, riders can travel for free until August. Curry said this statement was almost like a soft launch to ensure that people are prepared to use the new payment option by August.

“We wanted folks to go ahead and prepare for Aug. 1 by introducing the app now, so that we're not asking folks to load or to get accustomed to how to use the app going into the month of August," he said. "We wanted to make sure folks are all signed up ready to go.”

The Umo app now allows riders to load money onto their GoPass, and then use their phone to pay upon entering the bus.

"UMO Mobility is a multi-faceted platform that provides service for public transportation systems nationwide, that GoTriangle has used prior to announcing the return to fares," Curry wrote in an email to The Daily Tar Heel. 

He said that although cash can still be collected by bus operators, the use of the Umo app will make the process of bus entry more efficient. 

Brianna Cooper, a GoTriangle user, said she finds the switch to the Umo app a bit confusing, and that the app does not always function properly, saying that she thinks they haven't gotten all of the bugs out yet.

"They had years before where you could just use cash or get a card or something," Cooper said. "And now there's a special app that we have to use and we have to load money onto the app and by the pass through the app. So thats the complication is just having to use this new app." 

Cooper said that the increase in fare was still affordable for her, but she said she could see how it could quickly become unaffordable with frequent use.

Individuals with a household income less than $35,000, and those over the age of 65 or under the age of 18 can apply online to qualify for a pass that allows them to ride for free. Those with disabilities can apply to receive a pass that provides a discount on fares and a lowered cap.

Reese Young, an unhoused user of GoTriangle said he was surprised by the reinstated fees.

When asked if he could afford the fares, he said, “Not really, I’m more focused on feeding myself. Or paying for a shower.”

Although GoTriangle is reinstating their fees, Chapel Hill Transit will remain free for all users. 

@dthcitystate | city@dailytarheel.com