Friday, July 5, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Where to watch fireworks this Fourth of July in the Triangle

BELL TOWER FIREWORKS

Photo courtesy of Dan Sears/UNC-Chapel Hill. Fireworks explode behind the Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower on July 4, 1993.

This Independence Day, the Triangle will be full of fireworks and festivities. Here is a list of events across Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham and Raleigh to celebrate the Fourth of July.

Chapel Hill

On July 4, at 9 p.m., there will be a fireworks show at the Southern Community Park, located at 1000 Sumac Road in Chapel Hill. 

There will be a shuttle from the Jackson Parking Deck at UNC Hospitals due to limited parking near the event. Shuttles to the event begin at 6 p.m. and run until 8:15 p.m. After the show, shuttles will run until 10:30 p.m.

Visitors are encouraged to bring blankets, chairs and picnic supplies.

Preservation Chapel Hill will be holding an “Old Fashioned Fourth of July” event from 1-3 p.m. at the Horace Williams House at 610 E. Rosemary St. 

There will be ice cream sandwiches, lemonade, flags and a performance from The Village Band, a local nonprofit concert band. Again, visitors are encouraged to bring their own chairs and blankets.

Additionally, fishing without a license in any N.C. public waters is free and permitted on July 4. Some public fishing spots near Chapel Hill include University Lake, Anderson Community Park in Carrboro, Jordan Lake and the Haw River.

Carrboro

The Town of Carrboro will be holding its annual Fourth of July celebration on Independence Day from 9:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. The celebration begins at Weaver Street Market and will lead into a parade to the Carrboro Town Hall. Then, there will be a celebration at the Carrboro Town Commons beginning at 11 a.m.

Additionally, the 11th-annual reading of Frederick Douglass’ essay, “The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro,” will be held at the Carrboro Century Center from 12-1:30 p.m.

Visitors are encouraged to bring non-perishable food items to support PORCH, a local nonprofit hunger relief organization. 

Durham

There will be a fireworks show after the Durham Bulls game on July 4. The game begins at 6:35 p.m. at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park. After the seventh inning, the gates to the park will open and visitors will be let in for free. 

Tickets for the baseball game range from $13 to around $45, depending on seat location, and can be purchased online. There are also weekly fireworks shows after games held on Fridays and Saturdays, meaning there will be fireworks at the games on July 5 and 6. 

Additionally, the Festival for the Eno will be held on July 4 and 6, at West Point on the Eno in Durham. Tickets range between $10-$16 for children under 17 and from $35-$60 for adults. The festival will take place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. both days and will feature performances from over 60 bands across four stages. There will also be food and drink vendors and a craft show. 

Raleigh

The City of Raleigh will hold a fireworks show on July 4 from 6-10 p.m. at the Dorothea Dix Park, located at 101 Blair Drive. There will be food trucks, music and fireworks, which will begin at 9:30 p.m. Shuttles will be provided to and from Moore Square Park.

There will also be a block party and fireworks show held at Brier Creek Commons Clock Tower at 818 Brier Creek Parkway in Raleigh. Festivities begin at 8 p.m. and the event will be broadcast on local radio station KIX 102.9 fm.

@lolaoliverio

@dthcitystate | city@dailytarheel.com