Saturday, Sept. 7, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Incoming first-year swimmer Martin Kartavi headed to Olympics

SPORTS-OLY-BKN-TV-FITZGERALD-GET.jpg
Olympics rings are installed in front of the Paris City Hall during the "Olympics Day" organized by the the "Comite National Olympique et Sportif Francais " (CNOSF) to celebrate the upcoming of the 2024 Paris Olympics Games, in Paris on June 23, 2018. Photo credit LUCAS BARIOULET/AFP via Getty Images.

Years ago, Martin Kartavi made a deal with his childhood friends: If any of them qualified for the Olympics, they would go together and get matching tattoos.

Now their flights are all booked for the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris. Kartavi, 20, secured a spot at the Olympics last November during the Rotterdam Qualification, where he swam the 50-meter freestyle in 22.13 seconds. He will compete for his home country Israel before joining UNC swimming and diving next year as an incoming first-year in the fall.

“When you are able to go to a competition like the Olympic Games, you can be prepared for any competition at that point after that — just based off of your experience managing the expectations and the pressures of the Olympic Games,” UNC head swimming and diving coach Mark Gangloff said. “I think that he's gonna come in with a body of experience that very few people on our team have.”

Despite Kartavi's current prowess in the water, he was introduced to swimming out of necessitation. Kartavi’s mother wanted him to learn to swim to prevent drowning, but it was soon evident that he had a passion for it. Once Kartavi began winning medals, his mindset shifted and he intensified his training.

When Kartavi was 17 years old, he won bronze at the European Junior Championships, at which point he said he knew it wasn’t just fun and games.

“I needed to start doing it really serious and taking it more seriously than I took it before," Kartavi said.

He took bronze again the following year in Otopeni, Romania, with a time of 22.57 seconds.

Kartavi was on an upward trajectory in his swimming career until he broke his knee last fall. He was in a cast for a month and a half. 

“In this month, I was just the most sad and depressed I think in my life ever,” Kartavi said. “I thought, ‘I will never come back to swimming,' because it was a really serious injury and I know that there are a lot of people that don’t come back after this injury.”

Kartavi continued his training outside of the pool, putting his crutches aside and working on the things he could control. He improved his bench press and shoulder press. Kartavi said training with his knee injury was difficult at first due to the pain, but eventually he got the hang of his new routine.

It was five days into his new training regimen that Kartavi set his sights on the Paris Olympics.  

“I have a video that I did for myself,” Kartavi said. “I told myself that I have to [make] the cut for the Olympics. I have to. If I want to tell myself that I can be able to do anything, that's what I have to do.”

Kartavi kept his word, and eventually he achieved his goal at the Rotterdam Qualification meet in the Netherlands.

“My life just changed after those 21 seconds,” Kartavi said. “It's a feeling that you can’t really explain. It’s a good feeling. After the injury and everything, it was just amazing.”

Kartavi has spent the weeks leading up to the Olympics swimming intensely with his trainer in preparation for the games. 

Despite Chapel Hill being over 6,000 miles from Kartavi’s home in Israel, he will not be alone. Israeli swimmer Adam Maraana also committed to UNC for the 2024-25 season. Kartavi said having Maraana in Chapel Hill with him is comforting, knowing he will have someone to speak Hebrew with.

Additionally, assistant coach Javier Sossa said that UNC has the resources to support Martin’s transition to the United States, including firsthand experience with living internationally.

“I was an international student too,” Sossa said. “I did that process that he will be doing, so I understand the support system he needs.”  

Right now, Kartavi is focused on the Summer Olympics. However, he said that UNC is the right place for him to continue and elevate his swimming career after competing on the sport's largest stage.

“I am really excited to come to UNC,” Kartavi said. “I am happy that I will get the opportunity to swim there and enjoy three and a half years of my life. I think it will be very fun for me.”

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com