Sunday, Sept. 8, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Column: I can't stop thinking about jury duty

20200208_Sheridan_NCPrimaries-7.JPG

The Orange County Court House located in Hillsborough, N.C. pictured on Feb. 8, 2020. North Carolina and Orange County are focusing on minimizing technical issues and improving the voting process.

Jury duty. You've probably seen the show, heard some funny stories and heard your friends and family groan about it. It's something I never thought I'd have to deal with this early into adulthood, but you never think things will happen to you until they do.

I arrived the first morning — after not being able to sleep the night before — and was quickly ushered to the bottom floor of the courthouse, told to wait in a room of around 60 people who I later learned were my fellow members of the jury pool.

I sat alone, but was soon accompanied by an older woman with a large fan who told me all about her multiple jury duty experiences. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be chosen — I mean, who wants a 19-year-old juror? And from my brief glances around the room, it seemed I was the youngest in there, also spotting everything from "gun power" T-shirts to suits.

When the judge was ready, we walked single-file into the courtroom. The chatty energy was suddenly sucked out of the group. The judge, gallery memberslaw enforcement, attorneys and the defendant all watched as we entered, knowing that some of the pool would decide the outcome of the case.

My heart dropped when the judge told us the charges, explaining that if found guilty, the defendant would likely go to jail for the rest of his life. When I'd heard stories of people who had jury duty in the past, it was always something small that made them roll their eyes. Things were suddenly extremely real.

We sat in silence as names were called from the jury pool, with lawyers asking personal questions and expecting us to answer honestly.

Our group had significantly thinned out by the second day of jury selection, with only about fifteen people and one open chair remaining. Someone had to work, someone loved the second amendment and someone else had a planned vacation. Then I heard my name. The defense attorney asked me my major and what I was up to, and I knew that by that point I was going to be selected.

Throughout the two weeks of the trial, I watched hours of graphic police body camera footage and listened to testimonies about the event, evidence and the people involved. It was emotional, sad and draining, leading me to go home every day and just not want to talk. Sometimes I'd drive home in silence to sit with my thoughts, feeling like my time at the courthouse was a dream, so far from my "real" life.

The case was hard, and our jury turned to each other for support. Those people around me became comforting to talk to, with an age range from me to retirees. We would eat lunch together every day around town, talk about life and our feelings and learn from each other. It was a unique experience to be with such an incredible group of random people. They were so caring, asking me about my extended family and job on the regular. 

We made the best of a very emotionally repressive situation, often saying that we were so glad this was the group we got.

In the most honest terms, there were times I wanted to laugh, cry and disappear throughout the trial. Toward the end, I remember laying outside on the grass near the courthouse and watching people walk by, thinking about how each and every one of them had a story I would probably never know.

The weight of jury service lingers on my mind. I had trouble getting back to normal and thinking about things in my life that used to seem almost life and death to me before, not seeming that important anymore.

My experience was something that I think shifted my mindset in an unexpected and valuable way. The feeling of having someone's life in your hands is a struggle to express in words, but I hope every person who was involved in this decision knows that I, and everyone in that jury box, cared so deeply about fulfilling our duty and treated it with the utmost level of respect and seriousness.

When I walked down the aisle of that courtroom after the verdict was announced, I felt like no one would ever understand the feeling of emotion that swept over the room than the people inside. I remember tuning out everything around me as I watched the floor with watery eyes, worried that I was going to trip over my feet as I walked past friends and family members of the defendant and witnesses for the last time.

Jury duty reminded me that life is real. It can be grimy and sad, but there is power in humanity. Allow yourself to remember that.

@a_nanyabusiness

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com