Friday, Sept. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Six Diamond Heels selected during MLB Draft

20240303_richards_SPORTS-BASE-vs-Princeton-268.jpg
UNC Graduate outfielder Anthony Donofrio (4) stands among Princeton players on third base during the March 3, 2024 game against Princeton in Boshamer Stadium.

During the three-day 2024 MLB Draft, six players from the Diamond Heels' 2024 team were selected to go to the majors. Here's a breakdown of which players were drafted. 

Anthony Donofrio

Graduate right fielder Anthony Donofrio was selected as the No. 303 pick by the Seattle Mariners during the 10th round of the MLB Draft on Monday. 

After two seasons at Quinnipiac, Donofrio transferred to UNC for his final season of eligibility. During the 2024 campaign, the left fielder posted a final slash line of .326/.435/.547. He led the ACC in triples and recorded a team-high 19 doubles. He also had UNC's highest on-base percentage. 

The graduate also ranked fifth in stealsnotching 19 during the season — and eighth in doubles in the ACC. 

Dalton Pence

On Tuesday, redshirt sophomore left-handed pitcher Dalton Pence was selected as the No. 345 pick by the Texas Rangers in the 11th round. 

Appearing in 36 games, Pence posted a 2.45 ERA with a 5-1 record. To open the season, the redshirt sophomore recorded 14.1 scoreless innings. 

20240217_Skvoretz_UNC-Baseball-Wagner-664.jpg
UNC redshirt sophomore left-handed pitcher Dalton Pence (49) pitches the ball during the men’s baseball game against Wagner at Boshamer Stadium on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2024. UNC won 16-5.

After recovering from Tommy John surgery in 2022 during his first season at UNC, Pence went on to become one of the best relievers in the country, ranking second nationally in appearances. With this success, Pence received Third Team All-ACC honors. 

During the NCAA tournament, Pence helped push the Tar Heels a College World Series appearance with 19 strikeouts through 16.2 innings. In the final two games against LSU during the Chapel Hill Regional, the lefty threw 6.1 shutout innings to put UNC in the Super Regional.

Pence will look to bring his pitching talent to the Rangers where he will join former North Carolina left fielder Casey Cook. 

Shea Sprague

Junior left-handed pitcher Shea Sprague will make the trip back to Massachusetts to join the Boston Red Sox, his hometown team, after being selected as the No. 387 pick in the 13th round. 

In 2024, Sprague appeared in 17 games and recorded 15 starts, where he posted a 4.25 ERA. With this success, the lefty received Second Team All-ACC honors and ranked second in fewest walks per nine innings in the ACC. He also ranked fourth in lowest strikeout-to-walk ratio coming in at 3.89. 

20240607_Skvoretz_NCAA-SP-Baseball-West-Virginia-125.jpg
UNC junior left-handed pitcher Shea Sprague (28) pitches the ball during the NCAA super regional game against West Virginia at Boshamer Stadium on Friday, June 7, 2024.

During the NCAA tournament, Sprague pitched 4.1 innings against LSU in the Chapel Hill Regional, holding the Tigers scoreless during his time on the mound. In the Super Regional against West Virginia, the junior notched six strikeouts in five innings.

Against Tennessee in the College World Series, Sprague recorded six strikeouts in four innings of work.

Aidan Haugh

On the last day of the MLB Draft, junior right-handed pitcher Aidan Haugh was selected as the No. 488 pick by the Minnesota Twins in the 16th round. 

After two seasons at Fayetteville Tech, the righty transferred to UNC. 

Last season, Haugh made 22 appearances, with eight of them being starts. In 54 innings, the junior posted a 4.83 ERA and a 2.26 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Haugh also averaged 10.2 strikeouts per nine innings.

20240228_Evans_baseballvsLongwood-10.jpg
UNC junior right-handed pitcher Aidan Haugh (47) reaches to catch the ball during their home match up against Longwood University at Boshamer Stadium on Feb. 28, 2024. UNC won 12-3.

After losing senior right-handed pitcher Jake Knapp and first-year left-handed pitcher Folger Boaz to season-ending injuries, Haugh stepped up as the third-day starter during weekend series. He made his first start as a Tar Heel against Notre Dame in April, recording six strikeouts in five scoreless innings.