Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Four UNC swim & dive members set to compete in the Olympics

20230225_Tran-sports-aranza-vazquez-gold-side-6.jpg
UNC junior diver Aranza Vazquez wears her three gold medals on Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2023. Vazquez earned the triple crown during the 2023 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships.

Four members of the UNC swim & dive team are set to compete in the 2024 Olympics. Here's a look at how they punched their ticket to Paris. 

Aranza Vazquez

Vazquez is familiar with the Olympics.

In 2021, the current senior competed in the Tokyo Olympics for Team Mexico and made history as the first UNC women's diver to compete in the Games. While in Tokyo, Vazquez finished sixth in the 3-meter springboard competition. 

During the past three seasons since her last trip to the Olympics, the diver experienced unprecedented success at the collegiate level. Vazquez won five consecutive ACC championship titles and back-to-back NCAA championships in the Division I 1-meter event. 

While at the 2024 World Aquatics Championships in Qatar, Vazquez clinched a spot on Mexico's roster.

Patrick Hussey

During his last four seasons at North Carolina, Hussey made history for the Tar Heels. 

In his junior campaign, the senior set a UNC record in the 200-meter and then beat the record again the next season during the 2024 NCAA championships. Hussey also competed in the 800-meter freestyle relay and helped push the foursome to another UNC school record with a 6:14.88 finish. 

At the 2024 Olympics & Paralympics, Hussey finished second in the 200-meter freestyle, giving him a spot on Team Canada in the 4x200 meter freestyle relay.

This will be his first Olympic Games.

Martin Kartavi and Adam Maraana

Incoming first-years Kartavi and Maraana have yet to officially don Carolina Blue, but both will be competing for Israel in the Games later this month. Each will arrive on campus in the fall, but for now, both swimmers will focus on Paris. 

Maraana is the first Arab-Israeli swimmer to represent Israel at the Olympics and the first since 1976 in any sport. After achieving a personal best 53.60 in the prelims during the Israeli Olympic Trials in the 100 back, Maraana punched his ticket to the Olympics. 

Kartavi also secured his spot by narrowly beating the qualifying 21.96 time with a personal best 21.90 in the 50 free.

Both will look to make an impact immediately on UNC joining one of the strongest recruiting classes that the men's swim & dive program has seen. 

@_emmahmoon

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com