Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

'Trials and tribulation': UNC swimmer Patrick Hussey prepares for first Olympics

SWIMMING AND DIVING

Patrick Hussey University of North Carolina Swimming and Diving ACC Championship Greensboro Aquatic Center Greensboro, NC Friday, February 17, 2023. Photo courtesy of UNC Athletics.

To be an Olympian is something only a handful of athletes can claim. It takes commitment, grit and the mental strength of a champion. 

And in a few short weeks, Patrick Hussey will take the biggest stage in swimming to become just that — an Olympian. 

In May, Hussey made Canada's Senior National team with a second-place finish in the 200-meter freestyle at the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Swimming Trials. This performance solidified his position on Canada’s 4x200 freestyle relay team. Hussey is no stranger to the swimming spotlight. The senior helped break a Canadian record in the 4x200 freestyle relay at the 2023 World Aquatics Championships in Japan, making it Canada's fastest time since 2009. 

Reflecting on his journey to the Games, the Canadian remembers his earliest Olympic memory happening at just eight years old. In the stands of the Olympic Trials, Hussey and his club team went to support teammates and other Canadian athletes. 

“I just remember the atmosphere, everyone cheering and being very loud and wanting to be in that pool one day,” Hussey said.

Associate head coach Jack Brown has been with Hussey since he began swimming for UNC in 2020. Hussey expressed early on in his collegiate career an interest in going to the Olympics.

While the coach never guaranteed the young swimmer that he would achieve his goals, Brown made a plan with Hussey and the pair stuck to it. 

“When you recruit an athlete and they tell you that their dream is to make the Olympics, I can’t guarantee anything, but you say that your dream is my dream too,” Brown said.

Hussey's dream did come true, but not without hard work.

With the Olympics only a few weeks away, Hussey isn’t interested in hitting the breaks. Both Hussey and Brown emphasized the importance of mental and physical preparation as the games approached.

“What makes me so proud of Patrick is that it wasn’t a straight line to this point," Brown said. "He had some trials and tribulation even this past year."

Hussey deemed his performances at the NCAA swimming championships disappointing. The Tar Heels placed 24th at the championships. In the 800 free relay, Hussey and his teammates placed 17th out of 21 teams, and in the 400 free relay they fell to 21st out of 24 teams.

“It definitely hurts a little bit, and mentally was a pretty big challenge to overcome that hurdle and make sure to stay on track,” Hussey said.

Hussey’s performance at the Olympic Trials showed that he had not only jumped the hurdle, but was taking his swimming to the next level.

Hussey said he is looking forward to speaking French, trying all the bread from French bakeries and doing his best not to fan over world-class athletes in the Olympic village. Meanwhile, history will be etched in stone in Chapel Hill.

Hussey’s name will be added to the UNC swimming and diving monument in the Koury Natatorium — the home of UNC swim & dive — where there is a wall that is labeled with UNC Olympians. 

There are 15 names on that wall, and Hussey's name will become the 16th. 

“It’s an awesome feeling just to be a part of that group,” Hussey said.  “It’ll be nice to have my name up there.”

@C_Gouldielocks

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com