Friday, Aug. 23, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Spring study abroad applications to open Aug. 1

study-abroad-venice.jpg

Sophomore Tory Greene smiles for a photo in Venice, Italy during her time abroad. Photo courtesy of Tory Greene.

Applications to UNC study abroad programs for the spring semester will open Aug. 1, with the majority closing on Sept. 10.  

With locations and programs in over 70 countries, UNC offers a variety of study abroad programs open to students of all majors.

Every student at the University has the option to study abroad during their time at UNC, starting as early as their second semester and up until graduation. The UNC Study Abroad Office, based within the College of Arts and Sciences, is a resource to the entire campus community that aims to offer transformative learning experiences in all parts of the world.

Madison Lawrence, who graduated in 2024, studied abroad in Costa Rica as part of a faculty-led program.

“I had one of the best times of my life there,” Lawrence said. “I still talk with all the people that I went on the trip with.”

Lawrence said she appreciated the care that UNC Study Abroad took to make sure students were placed in a program and location that fit with their values and background. 

“They want to make sure all of your identities are represented while you're studying abroad,” Lawrence said

Tory Greene took part in the signature program, Carolina Global Launch, a study abroad experience in which students begin their first semester of college abroad. 

“Just being surrounded by Spanish really helped immerse us into the culture and the language," Greene said. "I definitely feel like my Spanish improved more than it would have if I just took classes at UNC."

Greene said that she felt the experience helped her transition into adulthood, rather than just focusing on the academic aspects of college life.

“I would say to anyone who wants to study abroad, anywhere in the world, just take the opportunity,” Greene said.

During the 2022-23 school year, 2,041 students participated in study abroad programs, a number which has increased each year after the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the UNC Study Abroad website, nearly 40 percent of undergraduate students at the University study abroad. 

“Study abroad is an investment in your academic and personal growth, and there is a lot to consider to make the right program choice,” Mallory Minnehan, Communications and Marketing Manager for the study abroad office, wrote in a statement to The Daily Tar Heel. “It's helpful to think about the coursework, the location, your budget, the length of the program, and the type of program and how much support you want.”

The office offers drop-in appointments during the school year and individual virtual advising appointments year-round. Advisors within the office focus on different aspects of the study abroad experience, depending on program type, region and financial advising. Students can also watch the Study Abroad 101 series on the office’s website. 

The programs offered by the Study Abroad Office can be divided into several categories depending on their characteristics.

Faculty-led and signature study abroad programs are those specifically curated by the University, offering a higher level of on-site support, potential activities and excursions. These programs typically include UNC graded courses or pre-approved courses at a partner institution. 

Students can also participate in exchange and direct-enroll programs, where they enroll in classes at a partner university and are treated as a local student. These programs are ideal for students seeking a higher level of independence and a more immersive cultural experience.

In addition to traditional academic programs, UNC students also have the option to participate in research or internships abroad for academic credit. 

@mreames13

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com