Friday, Sept. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

CHCCS to correct $5 million budget deficit with personnel cuts

20210326_Edwards_FPGelementary-5.jpg
Frank Porter Graham Elementary faculty await students to depart the bus early in the morning on March 26, 2021. CHCCS have recently reopened in-person instruction, although many children are still learning virtually.

Last night, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education voted 4-3 to approve a plan to correct a five million dollar budget deficit at the expense of personnel cuts. 

The Reduction in Force plan proposed to the Board by the Office of the Superintendent seeks to correct a nearly $5.3 million dollar budget deficit created by an enrollment decrease and inflationary pressures. Vickie Feaster Fornvile, Barbara Fedders and Rani Dasi voted against the plan. 

In the past five years, student enrollment in CHCCS schools has dropped by over 1,000 students.

The district’s Chief Financial Officer Jonathan Scott said the district receives around $8,000 per student from the state. Less students in the school district means less money coming from the state, Scott said. 

The Plan

The Reduction in Force Plan has three tiers. 

The first tier is a corrective action budget plan, intended to reduce costs. This part of the plan is expected to save an estimated $2.4 million for the 2024-2025 fiscal year. 

The second tier of the RIF plan eliminates 24 full-time central office and support jobs. Of the 24 eliminated jobs, 13 of the positions were vacant, according to the plan. 

In July, the district administration stopped looking to fill school-based vacancies that could be filled by central office employees to provide them with reallocation opportunities in anticipation of the plan passing. 

Some of the eliminated district-wide positions include an equity specialist for instructional equity, a school support and wellness chief, a mental health and wellness director, two mental health specialists as well as a family and community engagement director. 

The second tier of the plan is expected to save roughly $2 million in the 2024-2025 fiscal year. 

The third tier of the plan will reduce 57 district wide and school-based support positions through attrition, or the natural rate of turnover. As employees leave their jobs, the district will intentionally leave the position unfilled. 

Any employees that are still in an affected position at the end of June 2025 will be offered reassignment, according to the plan. 

“This approach allows for natural workforce adjustments over time, helping to alleviate financial strain while minimizing disruptions to individual school operations and individual staff members,” the plan stated. 

According to the plan, Tier Three will result in $830,000 of cost savings for the 2024-2025 fiscal year. However, the District Administration expects a projected recurring annual savings of $5 million after the current fiscal year ends.

The Board will hold appeal meetings on Sept. 3 and Sept. 4 for impacted employees.

@Kathryn_DeHart

Kathryn DeHart

Kathryn DeHart is a 2024-25 assistant City & State Desk editor.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition

More in Education