Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

What's next? Political leaders discuss Gov. Cooper's future following VP bid exit

20240816-Diehl-Roy-Cooper-File-1.JPG
Gov. Roy Cooper waves to the crowd at a campaign event for Vice President Kamala Harris in Raleigh on Friday, August 16, 2024.

In a whirlwind month of national politics, Gov. Roy Cooper gained national attention after being considered for Vice President Kamala Harris’ 2024 running mate, and subsequently removing himself from the race on July 29. 

Cooper was among a number of state governors and Democratic leaders who appeared on Harris’ shortlist for vice president. Harris selected Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz as her running mate on Aug. 6. 

“This just wasn’t the right time for North Carolina and for me to potentially be on a national ticket,” Cooper wrote on social media, announcing his withdrawal from the so-called "veepstakes."

From 2001 to 2017, Cooper served as the North Carolina attorney general, which overlapped with Harris’ tenure as attorney general of California from 2011 until she was sworn into the U.S. Senate in 2017. Apart from their shared time as state attorneys general, Cooper has also accompanied Harris on campaign stops in North Carolina.

In multiple press appearances shortly after Cooper announced his withdrawal, he mentioned concerns about current Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson seizing attention while Cooper would have been on the campaign trail.  According to North Carolina’s state constitution, during a governor's absence from the state, the lieutenant governor would serve as acting governor.

Robinson is the republican candidate for the NC gubernatorial race, running against current attorney general and Democratic candidate, Josh Stein. The race has garnered significant national media attention and both candidates have raised millions of dollars. 

Cooper said in an interview with Politico that Robinson “is the most extreme statewide candidate in the country right now.” Robinson is known for his anti-LGBTQ+, antisemitic and Islamophobic comments and views. 

“He was really concerned that the lieutenant governor, Mark Robinson, would take the opportunity to do some outlandish things as acting governor while Governor Cooper would have been out of the state running for vice president,” UNC Political Science Professor Marc Hetheringtonsaid

President of UNC Young Democrats, Sloan Duvall, said she knows Cooper is doing what he thinks is best for him, the state and the country. 

“Governor Cooper has been across North Carolina making the case for Josh Stein to keep our governorship blue and keep Mark Robinson, one of the greatest threats we've seen in North Carolina, out of the governor's mansion,” Duvall said. 

What's next for Cooper

Hetherington said that by removing himself from the VP shortlist, Cooper likely set himself up for future political opportunities.

Some Democratic political leaders told The Daily Tar Heel that one of the most speculated next steps for Cooper is running for a seat in the U.S. Senate. Current Sen. Thom Tillis' (R–NC) seat will be up for reelection in 2026, and Cooper's tenure reflects that he's never lost an election.

Cooper has the ability to win over independents and swing voters, which has helped in all of his campaigns from attorney general to governor, Hetherington said. 

“He would be the dream candidate for the Democrats running in North Carolina in 2026,” Hetherington said.

N.C. Rep. Renée Price, (D–Caswell, Orange) said it is very possible and probable to see him announce a senate campaign, because he has been playing an important role in national politics recently. She also said there is a chance that Cooper could work in Harris' administration, should she win the presidential race in November. 

“He's got good connections with Washington D.C. as it is, so it would be no surprise to me for him to be considered for a cabinet position," Price said. 

During a campaign rally prior to announcing he would not be seeking reelection, President Joe Biden said he can’t promise he won’t take Cooper away from North Carolina, alluding to the possibility of him being appointed to a cabinet seat.

Price said it has been a delight to work with Cooper while serving in the N.C. house. She said Democrats across the state know that his heart is in the right place, he is very intelligent and would have done an excellent job as vice president.  

Duvall said she couldn’t be prouder to call him an alumnus and former President of UNC Young Democrats. She said he will continue to fight for North Carolinians, young people and women. 

“He's someone who has always been on the right side of things, in my mind, and he delivers real results on his promises, so I think in whatever capacity we see him in next, I know he'll continue to do that,” Duvall said

@audreykashatus7

@dthcitystate | city@dailytarheel.com