Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Playa Bowls opens on Franklin Street in convenient location for students

Playa-Bowls-Franklin.jpeg
A new acai shop, Playa Bowls, opened on Aug. 11 at 104 E. Franklin St.

A new acai shop, Playa Bowls, opened on Aug. 11 at 104 E. Franklin St., next to Starbucks on the corner of Franklin Street and Columbia Street. 

Playa Bowls is a restaurant chain with over 200 storefronts across 22 states. The business began in 2014 in Belmar, NJ when two surfers opened up an acai stand outside a pizza shop. 

Jon Dickens, the franchise owner of the Franklin Street location, said the restaurant opening went well and there has so far been a steady stream of customers.  

“The opening was great,” Dickens said. “We had a line of 80 to 100 people outside, and we were fortunate to have some good weather amidst all the rain leading up to it, but it was a lot of fun.”

Playa Bowls’ menu offers acai bowls with seven different types of bases, as well as smoothies and fresh juices. Their menu features 29 pre-constructed bowls and the option to create your own bowl.

Mother and daughter duo and Playa Bowls customers, Claire and Julia Powers, said the food was a reasonable price for its freshness. Claire said she enjoyed the atmosphere of the shop and the employees were considerate and accommodating.

“A very fresh and friendly atmosphere, and the workers are very polite and nice,” she said.

Maria Workman, UNC student and Playa Bowls customer said her bowl was good, but she said the cost would discourage her from visiting frequently. 

“I would say this is definitely not like an everyday thing for me, maybe like a once a week, or twice a week type of thing. It's more of a treat,” she said. 

Workman said she would normally go to The Purple Bowl for acai, but the convenient location of Playa Bowls made her choose it instead.

“Today, I was just on Franklin Street already, and then I looked across and I saw it, and I was like, ‘Oh, it's right there,” she said. “I think if I was craving specifically an acai bowl, I would go to Purple Bowl – and if I had the time to walk.”

Playa Bowls is the third acai and smoothie focused restaurant to open on downtown Franklin Street, after The Purple Bowl and Tropical Smoothie Cafe. Dickens said he primarily chose this spot on Franklin for its proximity to campus, though he hopes to appeal to more than just college students. 

Dickens said he hopes to build a relationship with the university community, and that the location features special murals and items which make it unique.

“It's not just a college student kind of interest, it does kind of appeal to more than just that demographic, if you will. But no question, our location here is ideally suited for those in the school year,” he said.

@dthcitystate | city@dailytarheel.com

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition

More in Business

More in Food Issue

More in Food & Drink