Friday, Sept. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Schoolkids Records to close, owner points to industry changes, expensive rent

20240225_Austin_lifestyle-music-wots-chapel-hill-7.jpg
Records are packed into a container in Schoolkids Records in Chapel Hill, North Carolina on Sunday, Feb. 25, 2024.

The Franklin Street location of Schoolkids Records is closing its doors at the end of 2024.

Stephen Judge, the owner of the store, announced the closure in a Facebook post on Aug. 19. Judge said the decision to close the Chapel Hill location is a result of personal challenges and broader economic pressures. Judge also said he needed to take a step back to avoid stretching himself too thin. 

“I am comforted somewhat by the knowledge that this is a decision I've been forced to make because of current economic challenges within the music industry, local real estate growth in our area and also a post-pandemic economy/inflation that has no signs of recovering soon,” he wrote.

The first Schoolkids location opened in Raleigh in 1974, and the Chapel Hill location opened in March 2016 in the former CD Alley space. Judge, who was first hired at the Raleigh location in 1990, said the store's closing is “like a death in the family.” 

“Owning a store, much less one with the history and reputation of Schoolkids and operating on Franklin St has been the thrill of my lifetime,” Judge wrote. “I will miss it terribly.”

Judge explained that, as real estate values go up, properties are sold to new landlords who raise the rent in order to make a profit. This results in rent prices becoming unsustainable for small businesses, he said.

“It’s been a little bit disheartening knowing that, because of financial reasons and the fact that they’re not getting the financial support they need, some of these historically important places and joints are at risk of shutting down,” UNC student Aakash Palathra said.

Schoolkids is also facing challenges brought about by the changing music industry. Judge said the growth of streaming and new ways artists market their music have impacted independent music stores. When artists are selling records at lower prices on their own websites, he said, it’s difficult for record stores to compete.

As the only record store in Chapel Hill, Schoolkids' closure will leave a hole in the local market. Gabriel Garrity, who has worked at Schoolkids since 2019 and describes the store as his home away from home.

There’s not really a record store in the area that serves our base,” Garrity said. 

Once the shop closes, the nearest record store to downtown Chapel Hill will be All Day Records in Carrboro.

Schoolkids' storefront at 405 W. Franklin St. is set to close on Dec. 31. However, the Raleigh location, as well as the in-house record label and bar, will remain open.

Even without the Chapel Hill location, Judge said the community can keep supporting Schoolkids in other ways.

The store’s website will also remain available. He also posted a fundraiser on GoFundMe asking for donations to fund development at the Raleigh location.

Schoolkids will celebrate its 50th anniversary this year, and Judge said he hopes closing the Chapel Hill location will allow the Raleigh location to survive.

"I have decided to shift our focus to the most important goal, which is [to] ensure Schoolkids continues to be here for another 50 years serving the community in whatever fashion we can," Judge wrote.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition