Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

'We're on the right track': Orange County sees increase in tourism, visitor spending

20201026_Loven_FranklinStreet_drone-176.jpg

Cars drive down Franklin Street on Monday, Oct. 26, 2020.

Orange County’s economy is partially driven by tourism, a large portion of which is driven by the University. Thus, during the summer months, businesses tend to see a slump in visitor spending. 

However, tourism in Chapel Hill has been increasing yearly. Visitors spent nearly $267 million in 2023 — a 13 percent increase from 2022 — and lodging revenue is already up by 12.8 percent in the first half of 2024.  During the 2021-22 fiscal year, the Town saw $46.75 million in hotel revenue. Last year, it reached $57.28 million. 

Earlier in the summer, the University held a baseball regional tournament where four teams competed to advance to the NCAA Men’s College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska. Ticket demand outweighed supply, and the stadium was sold out for every night of the tournament.

Additionally, the Town has hosted two European football matches — one between Manchester City and Celtic football clubs this past July, and one between Wrexham and Chelsea in July 2023 — significantly boosting revenue during the summer months. 

The match in 2023 saw more than 50,000 in attendance from all 50 states, bringing in over $15 million in revenue. This year’s game brought in an attendance of 30,000 along with pop-up shops, watch party events and the operation of a trolley service to connect downtown Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

Laurie Paolicelli, the executive director of the Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau, said though attendance this year was lower than the match in 2023, several hotels in Chapel Hill were sold out. 

She said that other events, such as midweek corporate meetings, weddings and reunions have also increased in frequency and help boost hotel occupancy numbers.

Additionally, Amazon Prime Video television show “The Summer I Turned Pretty” was filmed at UNC in July, bringing in actors, production crews and spectators, which boosted the Town's economy, Paolicelli said. 

“So many visitors came in and said, ‘Oh, I just got back from the set of 'The Summer I Turned Pretty,'” she said.

Bob Ward, an employee at The Carolina Basketball Museum, said he sees visitors from all over the world travel to Chapel Hill, sometimes for the museum.

“Really, I worked yesterday and there were people in there from Belgium and Italy and Canada," Ward said.

Assistant General Manager of Top of The Hill Restaurant and Brewery Jeff Wardwell said that while sports events and graduation typically bring the most foot traffic, the restaurant attracts new customers throughout the year. 

“Definitely football — home football games — we see the most. That’s the maximum volume that we get for customers,” he said. “Men’s basketball home games do fairly well for us. And also graduation we get from the spring semester.” 

He said Top of The Hill’s business is dictated largely by the University calendar. Events such as new student orientations, campus tours, sports camps and events at Memorial Hall help drive business.

Orange County’s population has grown every year since 2011, with the exception of 2020.

“We’re seeing new people move here because they want to be close to Research Triangle Park," Paolicelli said. "We’re seeing them bring their friends and family here. We’re seeing them interested in everything we have to offer, from higher education as adults — like a non-traditional student — to healthcare to club sports for their kids.” 

Though the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic still linger, the Town’s economy is recovering. 

In 2020, visitor spending only reached $128 million. In 2022, visitor spending was back in line with the pre-pandemic figure, exceeding $236 million. In 2019, visitor spending was $218 million. 

Wardwell said the Town has experienced an increase in business each year since the pandemic began.

“It’s really hard to tell, but I know that we’re definitely on the right track,” he said.

@lolaoliverio

@dthcitystate | city@dailytarheel.com